Abby asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

is ammonia a safe dog repellant?

We have trouble with our dog getting into my mom's flower bed and eating rocks on our patio. I've been researching homemade repellants and have tried chili powder, vinegar, and lemon juice, all of which she licks up like its bacon. The only thing I've found that she doesn't like is ammonia. I was wondering if its safe for her if she does happen to lick it up? I dont wanna go spray it on everything and have her end up liking it and then it making her sick.

I read online that ammonia is a safe and natural repellant but I just wanted see if anyone had maybe tried it before or something.

Also, I did try the pepper and lemon juice and she licked it up and came back to beg for more.

Favorite Answer

Ammonia is NOT safe. Have you tried applying cayenne pepper? (There are large shakers in the Latino section of most grocery stores). Very hot, spicey, & can cause sneezing but not unsafe. Putting (her own) dog poop in holes will discourage her, and you might try some spraying on wasabi. Or just remove the rocks. There is also a product called "Get Off My Garden" (gel format) which can discourage many dogs. It will last thru a number of rains.

Source(s): 25 years in dogs, lots of personal experience.

Ammonia Dog Repellent

I don't believe that the solution is to spray or sprinkle a repellent just so your dog does not shred paper causing mess, and eating the bird droppings. How is this fair on your dog? How do you know by repelling this behaviour it won't affect, harm or hurt your dog.Simple answer you don't no one would be able to assume how it will affect the behaviour and temperament of your dog as each dog no matter on what breed reacts differently to negative punishment. Have you thought of maybe putting a plastic mat down one that you wash to prevent the mess of the paper? Have you thought about maybe putting a childs play pen underneath the bird so your dog can not physically reach the droppings? Have you thought about maybe training your dog to not go near the droppings? There are so many alternative more effective and less harmful than using a repellent. A repellent is a quick fix and easy for you, but not fair on the dog who has not been taught right from wrong

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is ammonia a safe dog repellant?

We have trouble with our dog getting into my mom's flower bed and eating rocks on our patio. I've been researching homemade repellants and have tried chili powder, vinegar, and lemon juice, all of which she licks up like its bacon. The only thing I've found that she doesn't like is...

Source(s): ammonia safe dog repellant: https://shortly.im/PfT4B

Ammonia is not safe for anyone not even the flowers.. Find something at a pet store for a dog.

No it isn't! It's poisonous for dogs so yes she will get sick if she licks it.

Go to your local petshop- they would most likely have a safe dog repellant.

Source(s): Local pet shop

No, I don't thinks it's safe. Try a citrus spray dogs HATE citrus. Spray some citrus scented spray over the area daily.

She will get sick. Try hot sauce or lemon juice, she will lick it and not like it so stop doing it.

Will do NOTHING....but fences work wonders.