?
? asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 9 years ago

Could the refrigerator coils caused a fire with paper stuck between them?

I just had kind of a scare. I was cleaning the coils behind my refrigerator and found a pad of paper which had fallen from the top of the refrigerator to the back and it was hung up between the coils. I'm so thankful that I found this because I was thinking that in time it could have caused a fire. Do the coils get that hot? I've learned my lesson - never ever put anything flammable on top of a refrigerator because you never know when things could get accidentally pushed to the back and fall behind the refrigerator.

• Greg D
    Favorite Answer

A refrigerator condenser coil will never got hotter than 150 degrees and that is the max. They usually run around 65-80 degrees.

Paper ignites around 450 degrees.

So the answer is NO, it will never ignite from the heat of the condenser coil.

No. Refrigerator coils never get that hot. It's not a problem or a safety hazard. You should clean the coils regularly so they operate at maximum efficiency, but that's just an energy saving thing.