Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 9 years ago

Ramadan: women are jewels, yes?

It seems many muslim men are very focused on having their wives/daughters cover up, and their reason is "darling you are like a jewel, and need to be protected" but how many if these same men actually TREAT their women like jewels? Whats the point of safeguarding a jewel, and then stepping on it yourself?

What do u guys think about this? If the argument "women are jewels" is going to be used to justify covering women up, then shouldnt that be used for the treatment of the women herself? Or only hen other men have preying eyes that women suddenly become these magnificent jewels? Just something to think about.

Salaam alaikum :)

@nazim how am i bashing men?

• Salman
    Favorite Answer

No, Jewels are more expensive !

• Arqam

women are not all alike and man also. The bigger picture must be to you dear sister is that you're practicing what Allah swt ordered believing women for their own sake here and hereafter. the issue of giving you names from men as jewels will not change anything of your intentions on why you're covering up, supposedly. Men did not order you to cover up but Allah swt, don't forget that. with regard to a husband, Mohammad pbuh urged Muslim women to choose the pious and the good valued Muslim man. If that man didn't treat you well, that doesn't change the fact that you're a jewel :)

you said men step on jewels. They are pictured in this scenario as legs :)

You apparently hang around the wrong men and/or live in a bad community.

OR you are a victim of Western Propaganda.

Either way, most Muslim men treat women well. There are some cases where they are total idiots, but there are also cases where women are total idiots. Get over this fact.

• patchy

Why do muslim women have to cover their heads? This question is asked by muslims and non muslims alike. The question is simple- Muslim women observe HIJAB(covering the head and the body) because their God "Allah" has instructed them to do it. It's not the muslim men who make their women do this.. It's their holy book and their deep respect for the scriptures in the Quran that

make them freely and independently cover themselves when they go out. Muslim women are not forced to wear a Hijab. They do it freely because they truly believe that they are respecting and protecting their own bodies from the preying eyes of men.

Comparing women to jewels doesn't mean that women are mere objects or a possession. It should not be taken literally. Muslim men are just comparing their women to a Jewel that has to be valued, respected and protected. They feel that a women should dress modestly and not be reveling their bodies wearing tight fitting, low cut, backless, shiny or flashy clothes that draws men's attention to the women. All Men do have preying eyes and their sexual drive is greater than a woman's and this is the reason for covering themselves.

An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

The issue of women in Islam, is a topic of great misunderstanding and distortion due partly to a lack of understanding, but also partly due to misbehavior of some Muslims which has been taken to represent the teachings of Islam. According to the Quran, men and women have the same spirit, there is no superiority in the spiritual sense between men and women. The Quran makes it clear that all human beings (and the phraseology doesn't apply to men or women alone, but to both) They have a respect for each other as human beings.

Just for Knowledge.....

The word "Hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of Hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman.

They are jewels because of the Command in Quran. As for men some are supporting it some just contradicting it in terms to themselves.

Yes, women should be treated well. What are you suggesting, that they don't?

ALL the Muslim men I know do treat women very well. & I know a LOT of Muslim men.

Wa'alaikum assalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.

Jewels can't be compared to 'the best possession this world has to offer' i.e. a pious slave of Allah as my wife.

So, How do I safeguard my most precious worldly possession? My Home? My twin half?

Simple: Follow the Sunnah and treat women folk in most kind/gentle/just manners.

I don't use 'women are jewels' as an argument, so that condition doesn't apply to me.

Rather, its quite derogatory to compare womenkind to 'mere 'shiny' rocks' on this planet.

I don't believe anything in this world truly comes close to beautifying a female in regards to what Allah swt has already provided her.

Yes, I do request muslimaat to cover themselves in due manners , as mentioned in Islam, and maintain their modesty in most just manners.

As for 'treating women' is concerned,

Yes, we should treat womenfolk kindly, but doesn't the same condition apply to you aswel?

How good are you towards yourself? your sister/ mom? your sisters in islam? do you show the same level of commitment / compassion/ care towards them, as u do towards yourself?

I have come to realize, that many muslimaat, are truly in ignorance of their own worth/status, which Islam gave them.

Indeed, Women should be treated in most kind/caring/ gentle manner, but, that is a general case, which applies to all of us, regardless of our gender.

I have never 'stepped on' women, and I stand against all forms of injustice done to the women folk.

I speak out against such atrocities, as much as I can, yet, I do my best to ask the females of this ummah to understand the huge status they are awarded in Islam i.e. The Mothers of Believers.

How good a mother can you be?

Think about that for a change.

Source(s): The Justification for 'covering up' is from the Quran wa sahih ahadith. Not my own 'man made' dalail (arguments). May Allah make the muslimaat of today, true beacons of guidance and modesty. Ameen.

They dont think their women are" jewels" they want women to cover up because they dont like other men eyeing up their wives.

Source(s): common sense

Things is the human brain stereotypes...

For example jesusislord fella is stereotyping all muslims...(Like that donkey usually does) stargirl is stereotyping men as hypocrites... everyone's stereotyping, nazim is stereotyping stargirls...

I can't take it anymore i need a holiday!

Some men that think like this about their sisters, mama.... dont treat other women like that, like you said. but some of them then finally relize that that woman their disrespecting is also someones daughter, sister mother... and so they change. Also some women have no self respect, so they dont show them respect.