Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 9 years ago

Did Dr. Treves help the Elephant Man?

Would you say Dr. Treves helped the Elephant Man because it was the write thing to do, or because he wanted the recognition? And why?

Favorite Answer

At first Dr. Treves was only interested in him as a freak of nature/medicine to be used as a teaching tool/guinea pig...until he realized that there was a gentle, intelligent and caring human being underneath all the atrocity...

• bbgns

I have a book that has the elephant man story written by the real Dr.

He was always caring and respectful. And was already a famous and respected doctor. The movie distorted that.

Compassion and a wish to learn more about the cause of neurofibromatosis. I have taken care of a patient who had that diagnosis. Sad thing is, the tumors are not just external and visible, but internal too and will attack the body organs.

A very sad and often painful disease!

• S

I think he done it out of caring. He could of tooted his own horn other ways. I saw this along time ago and don't remember all the specifics.