Accidentally shifted car into Park while driving. How much damage?

Yesterday at about was driving along at about 50km/h (~37mph) and I stupidly got distracted, leaned over to reach my water bottle on the floor in front of the passenger seat. In doing so I accidentally depressed my Auto transmission gearstick and pushed it into Reverse. I noticed pretty quickly when I started... show more Yesterday at about was driving along at about 50km/h (~37mph) and I stupidly got distracted, leaned over to reach my water bottle on the floor in front of the passenger seat. In doing so I accidentally depressed my Auto transmission gearstick and pushed it into Reverse. I noticed pretty quickly when I started slowing down and the "low battery" light came up on my dashboard. In a panic I tried to get it out of Reverse and instead put it into Park (now at about 30-40km/h - 20-25mph) - probably making my situation 10x worse!

The (transmission?) started grinding loudly, the car shuddering and I quickly slammed on the brakes. By the time I stopped the car had stalled.
I realise I was stupid in getting distracted and my panic reaction of putting it into Park was far from ideal. How much damage have I likely caused?

It's a 2002 car; Auto transmission. I was able to re-start the car and drive off without problems. When I found a quiet street on a hill, stopped and put it into Park, the car didn't roll down the hill so I hope this means the gears aren't completely stripped. There was no subsequent overheating, smoke or shuddering when driving.

How much internal damage to my transmission or other parts have I likely caused?

Thanks in advance!
Update: Just to clarify, the button on my gearstick is awkwardly positioned - me leaning over actually depressed the button and allowed it to be pushed forward into Reverse. I believe that coasted like Neutral (no grindings/sounds) - it's the Park (and grinding) that's cause for concern. It seems to be driving... show more Just to clarify, the button on my gearstick is awkwardly positioned - me leaning over actually depressed the button and allowed it to be pushed forward into Reverse. I believe that coasted like Neutral (no grindings/sounds) - it's the Park (and grinding) that's cause for concern.

It seems to be driving fine since. I completed the rest of my 2 hour journey at all speeds/conditions without cause for concern, including reverse parking.