Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 8 years ago

Is this car deal too good to be true?

01 Buick Century - $2700

**For Sale: BUICK CENTURY 2001**

Good car. It has 80k miles, 3100 motor, Nice tires, Runs and drives good. Asking $2700 OBO.

http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/2982645708.html

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

There can always be the rose among the thorns. This car is probably not going to be a beautiful flower. Private party sellers leave the buyer almost no reasonable recourse in most states if there is a misrepresentation.

Title issues, legitimate seller, and other matters are "Buyer Beware." This is a prime candidate for a third party resource such as "Car Fax" to see what can be determined about the history of this vehicle.

Suggest before making your appointment to see the car that you research quality and maintenance issues associated with 2000 - 2002 Buick Century, and its sister vehicles in the Chevrolet line.

Discounting the seller opinions, this is an eleven year old car with 80,000 miles. Not completely out of the realm of possibility but the seller should be able to explain more than "owned by an elderly person."

A reliable and trustworthy independent mechanic should have a good look at this car to be sure you are not purchasing another $2,000 or $3,000 worth of maintenance issues.

Besides the motor, pay particular attention to the transmission, air conditioner and front end parts. If the car has several electronic gadgets: Seats, windows, and etc., be sure they operate correctly because the cost of repairing these items is sometimes an unpleasant surprise.

"Or Best Offer" is an interesting comment on any transaction. The seller is in effect, starting out the process by bidding against themselves.

From the comfort of a kitchen table with limited information available about the specific car, it is probably worth at least a phone call if this is the type of car you are interested in purchasing. If not, keep looking. There is so much more to a transaction than price.

• 8 years ago

Any time you are buying a car on Craigslist you have to watch out. They have warnings posted all over their website describing all the different types of scams that are out there. The price is right for the car. I have a century myself. If i were to sell it right now i would ask about the same.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Just make sure that they have a clean title on the car. The best way to do that is to spend 30 bucks on a car fax. You will have to have a VIN number to do this. That will not only tell you how many owners had the car but if it was in an accident or if any major repairs were done.

http://www.carfax.com/

If you are looking for a car around this price and want to avoid craigslist, you might be able to do better at a local dealership. Most places will check the cars over and do a safety inspection before they are sold. In my opinion Craigslist is a great vehicle for seeing what is out there. You might want to narrow down your search on craigslist and search only by dealers.

Source(s): Personal Experience buying cars on Craigslist.
  • 8 years ago

Not exactly pristine, so yes, it could be legit. Go look at it in person, and make sure the person has the title in their possession. Compare the VIN on the car's dashboard to the the one listed on the title. Ask to see the seller's drivers license, and make sure the name and address matches the title. Call your motor vehicles department and make sure the title is good. Call your police depatment and make sure the car was not reported stolen.

• 8 years ago

Sounds about right. GM cars have really low resale value.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Sounds OK to me.

Check out KellyBlueBook.com and/or Edmunds.com

• 8 years ago

sell it for 3000

the demand in market for this model is high

• 8 years ago

sounds fake

• 8 years ago

No.

Source(s): Dealer
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.