CompTia A asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Can African clawed frog see? Tapped the glass but didn't move.?

1.5" African clawed frog.

Best Answer

Yes, most of them can see. Not well at all, but well enough. When I got stuck with mine, I didn't know the first thing about them, and had him in my large tank. Well, when I began stocking the tank, I released some baby Cories in there. The frog just sat there until one swam right in front of him, then lightning-fast, he snatched it and stuffed it in his mouth! Fortunately, the fish was able to get away, but he tried one more time before I got him netted and out of there. Luckily, I had another tank set up and cycled, and he now has that tank to himself. I didn't suffer any casualties, but about had a cardiac event myself!

After that I began researching them (should have done that first, I know better!). I have learned they typically have very poor eyesight, enjoy live food (duh!), need water no deeper than 12" so they can easily come up for air, and you should make sure to keep the water level at least several inches below the top of the tank, cause they will travel if given the chance! They are sensitive to vibrations, so you should have a filter that doesn't cause a lot of agitation. An air pump is unnecessary, as they breathe air from the surface.

My frog's staple food is Reptomin floating food sticks. He readily eats them and seems to be fat and sassy (good for frogs to be chubby). I soak them in tank water a bit before giving them to him. ACFs have no teeth or tongue, so I want to make sure they aren't too hard when he tries to eat them. I also learned that fully grown, an ACF can reach 5" long. Yours must be young, to be so small. Their average life-span is about 15 years, that surprised me!

You must be careful. ACFs will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, be it food, other tank inhabitants, sometimes they will even accidentally eat the tank gravel if they mistake it for something edible. That can be a problem (obviously), so it is best to use large gravel, or even river rocks for substrate.

One thing I have observed, which I find kind of disgusting, is that they often shed the outermost layer of their skin, and eat it. I was shocked the first time I saw him do that. When my husband saw him do it, he thought the frog was choking on something. He gets it down eventually and seems to be fine, so I guess it is normal.

I have found it challenging to find a lot of detailed information on them. I wanted to trade him in with the huge fish that came with my 55 gallon tank, because I knew nothing about frog care and had no desire to do it, but my husband wanted to keep him (the humanoid little guy kind of creeped me out, lol). I only willingly kept the Red & Blue Columbian Tetra, and got him some friends. So, reluctantly, I have been trying to learn about this guy and giving him the best life possible.

I feel that if you are going to keep a living creature, whether willingly or reluctantly, you are accepting the responsibility to provide for him to the best of your ability. That doesn't mean you have to dump a ton of money into it, but you have to learn what they need to be happy and healthy, and make sure they receive it.

Hope this answered your question, and maybe helped in some way. Good luck!

Source(s): Fish enthusiast for many years. Learning about ACFs.
  • shomer

Albino African Clawed Frog

I used to have African Clawed Frogs, as well as Dwarf Frogs (not in same tank of course) and they are both very inactive. They have very bad eyesight and yours may be blind. It will still know to go up for air. As long as its breathing (look carefully at its nose, it's nostrils should be twitching, which is a good sign) and he should be fine. A good thing about keeping a blind African Clawed Frog is that you can keep smaller fish with it as well.

First, you might have wanted this question to go on "other" or reptiles and amphibians. Anyways, my experience with frogs is that they sit around, then move a little, then sit around for a while, constantly. If the frog is breathing, its alive.