Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Can someone help me with making fondant au chocolat?

I made some fondant au chocolat but it turned out sour. I made some a few months back and it was sour as well. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Am I adding too much semisweet chocolate? I want to try again so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Ava
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

FONDANT AU CHOCOLAT

50g melted butter , for brushing

cocoa powder , for dusting

200g good-quality dark chocolate , chopped into small pieces

200g butter , in small pieces

200g golden caster sugar

4 eggs and 4 yolks

200g plain flour

1.First get your moulds ready. Using upward strokes, heavily brush the melted butter all over the inside of the pudding mould. Place the mould in the fridge or freezer. Brush more melted butter over the chilled butter, then add a good spoonful of cocoa powder into the mould. Tip the mould so the powder completely coats the butter. Tap any excess cocoa back into the jar, then repeat with 1 the next mould.

2.Place a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, then slowly melt the chocolate and butter together. Remove bowl from the heat and stir until smooth. Leave to cool for about 10 mins.

3.In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and yolks together with the sugar until thick and pale and the whisk leaves a trail; use an electric whisk if you want. Sift the flour into the eggs, then beat together.

4.Pour the melted chocolate into the egg mixture in thirds, beating well between each addition, until all the chocolate is added and the mixture is completely combined to a loose cake batter.

5.Tip the fondant batter into a jug, then evenly divide between the moulds. The fondants can now be frozen for up to a month and cooked from frozen. Chill for at least 20 mins or up to the night before. To bake from frozen, simply carry on as stated, adding 5 mins more to the cooking time.

6.Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Place the fondants on a baking tray, then cook for 10-12 mins until the tops have formed a crust and they are starting to come away from the sides of their moulds. Remove from the oven, then leave to sit for 1 min before turning out.

7.Loosen the fondants by moving the tops very gently so they come away from the sides, easing them out of the moulds. Tip each fondant slightly onto your hand so you know it has come away, then tip back into the mould ready to plate up.

8.Starting from the middle of each plate, squeeze a spiral of caramel sauce - do all the plates you need before you go on to the next stage

FONDANT AU CHOCOLAT

200g good quality dark chocolate, minimum 65% cocoa solids 1 tablespoon hot double strength espresso coffee 200g of butter softened 200g sugar 5 eggs 1 heaped tablespoon of flour Glaze

100g dark chocolate, minimum 65% cocoa solids, broken into small pieces 50g Butter, softened 2 tbsp water Measurement Conversion Calculator

Method

1Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour a 25cm round cake tin.

2Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl.

3Set the bowl over barely simmering water and pour on the hot coffee.

4Stir until chocolate has melted then add the butter and let it melt in to the chololate.

5Add the sugar and stir well, then break the eggs into the mixture one at a time mixing well after each egg has been added. Finally mix in the flour.

6Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.

7The cake should be very moist in the middle.

8Leave the cake to cool completely before turning out. Ideally, you should wait till the next day before serving it – chocolate cakes are always better when they have settled down a little, and in this case, where we are concentrating on pure and simple flavours, it is even more advisable.

Glaze

1Melt chocolate & butter in a pan over simmering water.

2Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix until the mixture reaches a thick fudge-like consistency.

3Allow to cool slightly before pouring over the cake.

4Allow the cake to sit in a cool place for approximately 2 hours before enjoying,

• 5 years ago

Hi Transformers the fondant would keep overnight if wrapped well but I don't think it would survive placed on a warm cake. Unless the filling is the fondant. I hope this helps,all the best. Rab

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.