SSD vs. HDD? Pleas help ?

Please try to answer all my questions if possible

I am wanting to buy a new SSD for my new PC that I am building but also i've heard somewhere that you can loose all your data or something like that I don't know if it was the correct thing that I was reading. Ok what I am asking for help here is if I have my ssd as my boot drive and just a couple of games and some apps. and plus I set up like a 500GB HD as well for files like music, docs, movies...etc will they show up on the desktop like if they were on my primary drive? Don't understand what I am trying to say? Ex. I have my SSD for a boot drive and have like origin on there with the game bf3 and I run out of space can I download another game onto origin or steam with it showing up on the desktop like the boot drive or will it show up like a Memory card like all folders with my games in there? sorry I can't explain better than that

Favorite Answer

"i've heard somewhere that you can loose all your data or something like that"

In general SSDs are more reliable than hard drives, but some SSDs use the SandForce controller which is known to be a lot less reliable than others. If you'd rather be safe than sorry get something like the Crucial M4, Intel 520 or Vertex 4 SSDs.

"Ok what I am asking for help here is if I have my ssd as my boot drive and just a couple of games and some apps. and plus I set up like a 500GB HD as well for files like music, docs, movies...etc will they show up on the desktop like if they were on my primary drive?"

I THINK I know what you're trying to say here, you mean if you have a folder called My Documents on your hard drive, how will you be able to access that without having to go into Computer > SSD > etc right? Well if you are using Windows 7 it has something called Libraries where you can make it so when you click Documents it opens a folder with multiple directories inside it (so you can pick what directory, like C:\Documents or/and D:\Documents inside the same folder kind of thing). You can do this by clicking Start > right clicking Documents > Properties > Include Folder (what ever you want). You can also make shortcuts to folders on your hard drive and put them on your taskbar or start menu to make it easier.

The SSD is better. If you are going to play a lot of games and you want it fast then get a bigger SSD. If not then you are going to have to tell steam to install it onto your 500GB and of course the game will slow down.

I pu my Left4Dead2 game on my SSD and that thing is super fast booting up.