what are some good books to read?

for adults ages 33-over

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you aren't looking for the classics:

Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen

This is a wonderful tale that illustrates a very specific time & place in history, through the eyes of an elderly man in a nursing home who lived it

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet by Jaimie Ford.

Set in the ethnic neighborhoods of Seattle during World War II and Japanese American internment camps of the era, this debut novel tells the heartwarming story of widower Henry Lee, his father, and his first love Keiko Okabe

Additon by Toni Jordan

Carefully controlling her world through obsessive counting practices, OCD sufferer Grace finds herself increasingly unable to relate to others, a life that is disrupted by potential romance when a kind stranger invites her to share a café table

The Confession by John Grisham

When Travis Boyette is paroled because of inoperable brain tumor, for the first time in his life, he decides to do the right thing and tell police about a crime he committed and another man is about to be executed for

The Millenium trilogy starting with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

Highly disturbing, with corrupt politicians, child abusers, serial killers all being opposed by a disgraced journalist and a 90 lb girl with a dragon tattoo and serious computer skills.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

True story of Henrietta and the HeLa cells that were critical to many medical breakthroughs over the last 60 years.

The Suvirors Club by Ben Sherwood.

Another non-fiction book, that just may save your life.

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

Way more to the book than the movie.

Source(s): 1000 year old librarian
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Really, really tired of hearing about the Hunger Games.

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

American Psycho

Catch-22

Fight Club

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Generation X

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Heart of Darkness

White Noise

Fever Pitch

A Clockwork Orange

Nineteen Eighty Four

Animal Farm

SCUM Manifesto

Drive

An American Dream

JPod

Bourne Identity

The Metamorphosis

The Rum Diary

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Anything by Edgar Allan Poe

Dracula

I Am Legend

• Kelley
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Depends on what you like.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline has a bit of a scifi feel, but is also a great treasure hunt through virtual reality. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, but I loved this book.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin is a great adult fantasy series. It's got more of a medieval history feel than the elves and trolls kind of fantasy.

The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock is a vivid book about a small community in Ohio. It had some parts that turned my stomach, but overall, a fantastic story.

Shroud by John Banville was a great read, might be a little difficult to get into. It had haunting images of an aging man, but wrapped in a wonderful story.

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami is a great book about growing up and moving on. A bit depressing.

Swamplandia by Karen Russell is the story of a girl growing up on an alligator tourist attraction in FL and trying to deal with the loss of her mother.

If you list some books, TV shows or movies you've enjoyed, I'll be better able to make recommendations :)

Source(s): BTW, I'm 44.
  • 8 years ago

Tolstoy

Dostoevsky

Alistair Maclean

Anne Rice

Wilbur Smith

Picoult

The Russians are quite heavy intellectually, but I read Tolstoy when I was 18, so...yeah

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

The Hunger Games Trilogy

• 8 years ago

• 8 years ago

The eye of the world, the life of Pi, the tiger's wife, curse of the pogo stick, pillars of the earth

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

daisy chain, the playroom, broken silence, the jasmine trade

Source(s): library
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.