Considering moving for in-state tuition purposes?

For a while, I've been considering moving from AZ to Chapel Hill, North Carolina for the purpose of getting cheaper tuition than if I attended UNC as an out of state student (the different is over $20,000 a semester). I want to find out more information about how to gain residency in North Carolina, but I don't know where to look. Can anyone give me some information from personal experience, or provide me with a link or some kind of reference so I can find out what I'd need to do to gain residency in North Carolina?

3 Answers

  • eri
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Here's the information on gaining residency in NC.

    You must move there and start establishing residency a year before you apply to colleges. You cannot become a resident if you move there to attend college, so you must wait a year.

  • boots6
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    Theres a whole page on it on the UNC website

    In order to qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must have established legal residence (or domicile) in North Carolina and maintained that legal residence for at least twelve (12) months prior to his or her classification as a resident for tuition purposes.

  • duzan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    It relies upon on the school. My pal moved to Mass. from Jersey and they informed her she had to be a resident for 6 months before she might want to evade the out of state expenses. i have heard of alternative places being a 365 days. In Florida that's 6 months besides. verify with the enrollment dept.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.