Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

What is it with Conservatives and their disdain for satire?

Does it have something to do with satire's status as an art form?

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Doug Stanhope Bil Maher, and a great many others....These men were/are generally on the Left [I've read that Maher and Stanhope are Libertarians, though] of the spectrum, but they used the art of satire to express their ideas. It seems like Fox News and Right wing voters take every word literally, and pull off some drama about how offensive and horrible these people are to make their statements.

I do realize that Rush Limbaugh and his disciples define the Limbaugh program as ''satire.'' Maybe it is, but from the several episodes of his show I've listened to, I hear the occasional joke laced into what is mostly his genuine viewpoint.

Most satirists I enjoy will do the opposite...interject the OCCASIONAL genuine view, if at all, and the predominant remainder of their spiel will be the jokes.

What I'm seeing is a key difference between satirical comedy and punditry. 'The Daily Show,' for example, is a satirical parody of punditry, while A.M. talk radio is another media for actual punditry.

Even most satirical comedians haven't gone so far as to make light of tragic stories, or take the route of using violent, derogatory language towards callers who confronted them.

Michael Savage told a gay caller to ''get AIDS and die.''

Rush Limbaugh told a black caller to ''take that bone out of your nose and call me back.''

ETC.

I've noticed that in general, Left-wing or Libertarian comedians can take a joke. They don't make a giant fuss most of the time over what is clearly a satirical statement.

The Right, from what I've noticed, will treat the comedians on the other side as if they're running for office...I've never seen such a strong collective ball-busting over humor. Why can't they take a joke?

Am I getting this about right?

Have I covered the bases?

What do you think?

LIB NEMESIS - So did Lisa Lampanelli. Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a "slut," so what's your point?

TIMETRAVELER - Actually, the Right is constantly labeling the Left as ''Socialists,'' ''Communists,'' and ''Marxists,'' so I'll have to see a link to the video if you want me to take that seriously. If it turns out you're not a liar, I'll take O'Reilly's statement for what you say it is. None of you have made a single indication that these labels are a joke. Ever.

STEPHEN M - Oh, how weak.

LIB NEMESIS - Gosh, then maybe you'll someday manage to wrap your vacant head around the possibility that only Rush's listeners consider his show ''Satire'' at all. I think the problem is that you realize the Left's satire is just that, satire. The question is, can you really keep it together when you continuously attempt to convince anyone that Limbaugh's program is technically the same? I forgot to mention, I also consider Sarah Palin a c u n t.

Favorite Answer

Someday science will be able to show that liberals possess the humor gene and conservative don't.

• Norm

Bill Maher off-handedly referring to Sarah Palin as a c*nt is not a joke or a satirical statement -- it's a vile insult. I don't know which is worse; Maher saying it or his audience cheering him on. If Rush Limbaugh had used that word to refer to Barbara Boxer or Nancy Pelosi or Hillary Clinton, the mainstream media would be calling for his head on a silver platter.

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have taken aim at people on the right and the left, so they're equal opportunity satirists. We also have the Bill Mahers and Doug Stanhopes who exclusively take on conservatives, and on the other side you have the Ann Coulters and Rush Limbaughs who exclusively take on liberals. Where many conservatives take issue is the all-out, no-holds-barred assaults and criticism against conservative pundits by the mainstream media, which is either largely silent or supporting of liberal pundits. The Bill Maher/Sarah Palin comment above is just one example of how the left-leaning media turns a blind eye to those who support their agenda.

BTW, your assertion that satirical comedians haven't made light of tragic stories or using violent, derogatory language toward their detractors is completely wrong. Do we really need to go back to Sarah Palin and talk about how she was savaged up and down about Trig, her son that was born with Down's Syndrome? Do we really need to talk about what Bill Maher and Doug Stanhope have been quoted as saying about their detractors and conservatives in general?

Maher called Palin a "cnut"

Try again

EDIT: Your whole ranting diatribe is just false. Obviously, left wing satirists DO resort to vulgar name calling too, not just the right, and I cannot think of a more striking example of a pundit being treated like he's running for office than Limbaugh. Even 0bama got into it with him.

Only Maher's viewers consider it satire too. Are you really this stupid? You make Palin look like a genius

• ?

Liberals don't get satire either. The other day O'Reilly said someone was a communists and I certainly understood he was using satire. But the liberals went ballistic over this. So I have to say both parties have trouble with satire.

• pdooma

"When Gregory asked Leno about what he thought of Mitt Romney‘s recent appearance on his show, Leno gave a rather thorough take on how politicians and political parties react to humor.

He said, “Democrats and Republicans are interesting, because Republicans really laugh at themselves more.” He recalled that when candidate George W. Bush appeared on his show in 2000, when Leno’s staff asked Bush if he would be willing to do a skit on the show, Bush enthusiastically agreed. But when the show tried to get Al Gore to do a similar sketch, he said that Gore’s people immersed themselves in a serious discussion about how it would play with voters or something. Leno recalled when John Kerry appeared on his show in a motorcycle and wearing a leather jacket as a “weird” moment."

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jay-leno-on-meet-the-pr...

Bill Maher sucks donkey ball's!

We have a GREAT appreciation of satire and love a joke as much as anyone.

Take, for example, you and this post of yours!

This the funniest thing I have read all day!! LOL!!

You have to be human to have a sense of humor