Team Manila asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Transgender vs. Dog Shows?

Hello! My biological name is Marina. I show Maltese, Shih Tzus, and Yorkies. I show my Maltese in juniors though. I have qualified for Westminster for the past 2 years and Eukanuba the past 3 years. I'm 13, and everyone sees me as this happy-go-lucky girl. Where in reality, I'm a genderqueer/Female to Male transgender. What this means is some times I'll feel like a girl, or other days I'll be a guy. Most of the time I identify as male, but because of Dog Shows, I can't be myself. I barely came out to my parents, I can't even imagine coming out to all of my Dog Show friends. It's a very conservative sport in that aspect. So pretty much what I'm asking is, how will the Dog Show world react to this?

I'd like to add that the longest break I've ever had from a show was 6 weeks. It's definitely a major part of my life.

• Ama
    Favorite Answer

Honestly?

The dog show world doesn't care about who you are or what you do-they are there to judge the dogs, not you and you don't really have to come out to your acquaintances in the dog show world, come out to your close friends. Another commenter (BYB and crazies rule DS) made good points in their comment.

Given, people will judge the handler-but I doubt your sexual orientation or gender recognition will change the quality of your dog and how you present them.

My own younger brother is transgendered(born female becoming male) and he has learned sometimes it's best not to let people know, though he really doesn't have to worry about it at this point, since most people who see him now believe he is male.

Be yourself, always. If you spend your life trying to please others you will be forever miserable. The Dog Shows are for judging Dogs, not their owners/handlers. Eventually you will have to come out to your parents. Good luck with that, some parents are accepting, some, not so much. But you are their child, they SHOULD love you no matter what. Especially since this is not a choice on your part. That's what many people don't get, NOT a choice. You did not choose this any more than your parents CHOSE being heterosexual. You did not wake up one day and say, oh, I think I will be transgender, it is something you just are. An old saying, To thine own self be true.

Wow, sorry for all these responses youre getting. Its a shame people feel this way. I dunno whats worse, saying things like that behind a persons back or saying it straight to their face. Either way, its just sad.

Anyway, if you regularly attend dog shows and are in the ring frequently (as in, if it is a major part of your life), then I would come out to your dog show friends because you shouldnt have to hide such a huge part of yourself on such a regular basis. On the other hand, if you only do a couple shows a year or something, just keep it the way it is now because it seems to be working. It can be a touchy subject for some people, so take that into consideration. If youve been invited to westminster, it sounds like youre quite a successful handler and show some pretty awesome dogs, which makes me think you probably go to dog shows pretty often... If thats the case, show them the real you.

Seek help. You clearly have a mental problem. I realize it's not politically correct to say so, but I don't really care anymore. It's very rare for someone to be born with a genetic mutation causing them to be in between genders, so it's more likely that you're suffering some sort of mental imbalance. Just because you feel like a boy doesn't mean you are one. Someone might feel like a cat but that doesn't mean they should go kill and eat a rat.

Killian, wake up to reality and the 21st century. Who are you to judge another person and the way they feel. Walk a mile in their shoes first and then you can talk. Only narow minded people would feel uncomfortable in the above described situation. I dont know how old you are but maybe it is time to grow up.

Marina,

Life have thought me that it is always best to be true to myself. In general, the dog show world should not react in any way. They want to see your dog perform. If you have friends from the dog show world, this will help you see who is a real friend and who is not. And frankly, would you want to be friends with people who do not accept you for who you are? This is probably not an easy situation for you and it must have been difficult to come out to your paretns. I hope you have support from them as being a teenager is a difficult time for everyone and adding on the isecurity you may have about how people will react to the real you makes it harder. Be strong and follow your hart. The dog show world is for dogs, i dont think you have to worry too much.

• I hate to stereotype, but in those fields, there are a considerable amount of gay male owners, competitors, and handlers.

If you are good at what you do and don't go out of your way to stand out as a transgender, you shouldn't have a problem. If you do ever sense that things have changed with the judges, then you start filing complaints and speak with the media and attorneys.

You aren't obligated to come out to all your dog show acquaintances. Come out to your close friends, your mentor/s, and to whomever you think should know. It will be a shock to some people at first and yes, you will get some negative reactions, but life will go on and so will the show. Hopefully, people will get over it.

GL to you in whatever you decide.

• ?

WTF.

You have genetalia for a reason. Act your gender, freak. Don't force others around you to feel uncomfortable.

Well, that's just 'lovely', dear. Thank you so much for sharing so soon after I have had my dinner.