When traveling with children would you prefer to rent or bring all equipment needed(strollers, car seats, etc)?

When you are traveling with an infant or toddler there is a lot of equipment needed. I absolutely hate all the stuff you have to drag through the airport for a baby. You need a stroller, car seat, diaper bag, toys, etc. Depending on where your going you may need a pack n play. Its hard enough taking a child through an airport without all that stuff. If you had the option to rent some of this equipment when you get to your destination, would you? This equipment would be delivered to you at the airport or to the place at which your staying depending on the needs. What are your opinions and why or why not?

*** I also worry about the really nice car seat or strollers we own getting lost or damaged. Airlines are infamous for this

I would purchase a ticket for baby and use his/her car seat on the plane. I would not risk the airline damaging or losing it, and I would never risk using a rented seat. I probably wouldn't want to rent anything that couldn't be easily sanitized either.

• Tyla

Maybe if it would be cost effective to rent vs paying baggage fees.

If you travel often with your baby, I would get a travel seat such as the light weigh and cheap, but safe Cosco Scenera- it costs around $40-$50 (depending on where you live in the US). There are 2 different cosco sceneras- one has a 35 lb weight limit for rear facing and another is a 40 lb weight limit for rear facing.

I wouldn't rent anything- if you already bought it, why would you buy it again? This is my opinion though.

I wouldn't ever rent a car seat because car seats are only a 1 time safety device. After a crash, they need to be replaced. You wouldn't know if someone else was involved in a crash, gave it back to the rental company (without visible damage), and you used it. A car seat can look okay on the outside, but a tiny hairline crack can result in disastor in a 30 mph crash. Do you know about the safety benefits of rear facing children who are 2-4 years old? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE

Youtube thumbnail

Car crashes are the leading cause of both disability and death for kids under 12 years of age.

• Faith

I agree with the other user who said why spend more money when I already own the items.

Traveling and vacation are expensive enough already. Why waste money?

Source(s): homeschooling mom of 3
  • K

"What are your opinions"

When my daughter was wee I travelled with a sling and enough diapers to last until I arrived at my destination and could hit a diaper-selling shop. If I was visiting friends or staying in a hotel where there weren't enough beds/weren't beds suitable for co-sleeping I brought an air mattress.

I cannot imagine hauling all the junk you mention. Car seats are pretty easy to buy cheaply at your destination, but public transit + baby sling is a very workable combo.

I always bring the stroller and everything with me because I can check it at the airport for free. Also, then you don't have a ridiculous rental fee from the car company.

• bubs

no, why would I pay to use something I've already paid to own.

I wouldn't pay for things I already have on hand. Plus, my son prefers his things. I just think it is better to have your things then to rely on someone else for the safety of my child.