Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 8 years ago

What is and isn't anime/manga art?

I look at art on the internet, and almost everything from Naruto art to a realistic character with slightly cartoonish features is called anime. Heck, characters from Teen Titans and the like would be called anime if people didn't know they were from an American cartoon. Teen Titans is a American cartoon, not an Japanese anime, and its based on American comics, not Japanese manga. Even if its influenced by anime, its still a cartoon!

If Americans make a drawing that looks slightly anime/manga influenced, we have to label it manga/anime on Deviantart.com. Japan will steal all the credit for our original art, just because we were influenced by anime we've watched.

If your in America, and you draw "anime", call your drawings cartoons. Or just call it whatever you like. If your copying an specific anime style you can call it anime. But if you doodle something random with a slightly pointed chin in your own style, its not anime. It maybe have that oh-so-popular anime look to it, but its not.

The reason some people say they don't consider anime art is that they dislike people copying the same stuff over and over. But if they were more aware of this huge spectrum of "anime" art, they wouldn't say that.

If someone says you don't draw anime right, tell them you aren't trying to. Don't go out there and look up tutorials on "how to draw a manga head". Well, you can if you want, but I'd rather you make your own style. Look at your own head, draw your own cartoon face, and if people still call you anime/manga artist, give them this lecture. (sorry I didn't mean to lecture lol)

My question is, what do you consider is and isn't anime/manga art?

Paul, I know manga and anime just means comics and cartoons in Japan. But do you know what the Japanese call our comics and cartoons? They call them manga and anime. They're Japanese, so they use their language. You can say "I'm influenced by Japanese cartoons (or even say anime)" But you shouldn't call your art anime/manga. Just because you draw an foreign art style doesn't automatically make your drawing foreign.

My point is, Americans should learn from the Japanese who call all animation and comics by the same word. So call your anime character an cartoon character. It true that its technically both though.

I love anime/manga, or should I say Japanese cartoons? And I would never say it isn't art.

I just dislike people saying you should label cartoons as cartoons and and anime as anime when they are essentially the same thing. You said the same thing in your answer.

Plus, I know every style is different, but that doesn't change the fact that your American and should call your "anime character" a cartoon. I haven't heard anyone ever says cartoons aren't art, but lots say anime isn't. Its gotten a bad rap because of the people who randomly start drawing it and saying they are going to be a mangaka ect one day. "I want to be a comic book artist" That is what they should be saying.

Favorite Answer

You're right. Anime and manga are titles strictly labelled for Japan. An anime is a Japanese cartoon, and anything else that is visually similar, but made in a separate country, is labelled as something different. Even though many shows such as Teen Titans, and Avatar: The Last Airbender are influenced by anime, they're still cartoons.

In comparison, a comic made in America is just that, a comic. Even if it's visually similar to the style of manga in Japan, it's still a cartoon since it was not made in Japan, and therefore, not Japanese. A manga is a JAPANESE comic, and an anime is a JAPANESE cartoon.

Anyway, that's how I label them. Simple as that.

Manga/anime is art, it's just not yet considered Art. These are very different things. Art with a capital 'A' is the stuff that gets sold at auctions and goes into museums. Some manga art is considered Art (Tezuka's stuff for example) and is appreciated for its style and influence on later art. The value added to Art is largely false and easily swayed by fashion and sentiment. As for art. Manga images (without text) can draw the same emotions, appreciation and so forth from a viewer, so given that, I feel it is art. It also has the same rigours (if not more) than an average anatomical sketch. There are many nuances to learn on top of what people need to know for realism. It's funny really, because a while ago, one of my friends (who is exclusively a manga artist) was told by someone, "I get anime, and I kinda like it, but you're not a real artist because that's all you can draw". She proved it wrong by topping various categories on that art forum - photo realism, animals, landscapes, portraiture, fantasy, abstract. Then went back to just doing manga. She has never taken any art classes, or learned to draw in the traditional style, nor does she even practice realism. She uses it for backgrounds. So my point is, you can learn to draw well via any medium really, as long as you draw so much that your hand draws whatever your brain tells it to draw. The simple skills of observation, memorisation, imagination and putting those lines/pixels to paper/screen doesn't change across the disciplines. Even photography is the same, when you're composing a shot, you think of shadows/light/layout/line strength etc, but your brush is a lens. When your hand knows how to follow your brain, that's when you have learned how to draw, and you can then let your imagination be your only limit.

i don't think of art like that. manga is the Japanese word for comic-book. anime is just short for animation and last i checked cartoons are animation. as for the art, it is bast of the artist's style of drawing, i have watch many animated shows and movies and most look different, Don Bluth's (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089940/) art stile is different than that of Walt Disney and Bluth animated for Disney. and if you look at Gundam the art style in the Universal Century time line is difrent from that of the Cosmic Era. It all depends on the artist making the show.