What is and isn't anime/manga art?

I look at art on the internet, and almost everything from Naruto art to a realistic character with slightly cartoonish features is called anime. Heck, characters from Teen Titans and the like would be called anime if people didn't know they were from an American cartoon. Teen Titans is a American cartoon, not... show more I look at art on the internet, and almost everything from Naruto art to a realistic character with slightly cartoonish features is called anime. Heck, characters from Teen Titans and the like would be called anime if people didn't know they were from an American cartoon. Teen Titans is a American cartoon, not an Japanese anime, and its based on American comics, not Japanese manga. Even if its influenced by anime, its still a cartoon!
If Americans make a drawing that looks slightly anime/manga influenced, we have to label it manga/anime on Deviantart.com. Japan will steal all the credit for our original art, just because we were influenced by anime we've watched.
If your in America, and you draw "anime", call your drawings cartoons. Or just call it whatever you like. If your copying an specific anime style you can call it anime. But if you doodle something random with a slightly pointed chin in your own style, its not anime. It maybe have that oh-so-popular anime look to it, but its not.
The reason some people say they don't consider anime art is that they dislike people copying the same stuff over and over. But if they were more aware of this huge spectrum of "anime" art, they wouldn't say that.
If someone says you don't draw anime right, tell them you aren't trying to. Don't go out there and look up tutorials on "how to draw a manga head". Well, you can if you want, but I'd rather you make your own style. Look at your own head, draw your own cartoon face, and if people still call you anime/manga artist, give them this lecture. (sorry I didn't mean to lecture lol)
My question is, what do you consider is and isn't anime/manga art?
Update: Paul, I know manga and anime just means comics and cartoons in Japan. But do you know what the Japanese call our comics and cartoons? They call them manga and anime. They're Japanese, so they use their language. You can say "I'm influenced by Japanese cartoons (or even say anime)" But you... show more Paul, I know manga and anime just means comics and cartoons in Japan. But do you know what the Japanese call our comics and cartoons? They call them manga and anime. They're Japanese, so they use their language. You can say "I'm influenced by Japanese cartoons (or even say anime)" But you shouldn't call your art anime/manga. Just because you draw an foreign art style doesn't automatically make your drawing foreign.
My point is, Americans should learn from the Japanese who call all animation and comics by the same word. So call your anime character an cartoon character. It true that its technically both though.
I love anime/manga, or should I say Japanese cartoons? And I would never say it isn't art.
I just dislike people saying you should label cartoons as cartoons and and anime as anime when they are essentially the same thing. You said the same thing in your answer.
Update 2: Plus, I know every style is different, but that doesn't change the fact that your American and should call your "anime character" a cartoon. I haven't heard anyone ever says cartoons aren't art, but lots say anime isn't. Its gotten a bad rap because of the people who randomly start drawing... show more Plus, I know every style is different, but that doesn't change the fact that your American and should call your "anime character" a cartoon. I haven't heard anyone ever says cartoons aren't art, but lots say anime isn't. Its gotten a bad rap because of the people who randomly start drawing it and saying they are going to be a mangaka ect one day. "I want to be a comic book artist" That is what they should be saying.