Hi fellow seniors, did you ever send or receive a telegram?

I've only ever sent two and they were congratulatory gram's for friends weddings.

During the war years telegrams were things to fear and dread for obvious reasons as some of you may recall.

Perhaps during those and/or subsequent years you were a recipient or sender of the more celebratory type and hopefully not the upsetting kind?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • ERIC S
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I sent and received many telegrams in the past and pleased to say most of them were of the celebratory kind. It was a part of the wedding function to read out the telegrams. Your question also brought back memories that I had long since forgotten. I worked for the Post Office just after I left school in the early forties and have forgetten the Telegrams boys, their red bycles and little round hats. Thanks for the memories.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Joan
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I have never needed to send a telegram. I have received 3 telegrams and they were all for the same occasion - my wedding back in 1976. They were from 3 relatives who couldn't manage to be there and wanted to wish hubby and I good luck etc. The best man read them out at the wedding reception.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

When I was a kid in the ''40s, telegrams were used to send the most important or urgent messages. I know my parents used them a few times, but don't remember the messages. After I was married, my husband sent me a CandyGram a couple of times. It was a telegram and box of candy delivered in person to our house.

• 8 years ago

December 1965....dad sent a telegram to me in boot camp that he could not come to my graduation. He was in the U.S. Air Force in Alaska.

+

Today I did my first IM (INSTANT MESSAGE) with a young friend on the USS Enterprise CVN-65 heading for the Persian Gulf (his first cruise/deployment). He left March 11. When I was there(Persian Gulf on the USS LaSalle AGF-3, Flag Ship for the Commander Middle East Forces) (1978-79) it was by postal letter only...7 - 10 days ONE WAY.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

One. I was in the army and arrived back on an unexpected 72hr pass. It was sent from the camp post office at 9:00 a.m., It read "Be home about 4:00 " We didn't have a phone in those days.

• RB
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Hi Lily,

No I have never received one or sent one. But I know that receiving one usually meant sometihing bad had happened.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No.

But I have sent candy grams.

Does anyone remember those?

• ROXY
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

We've not had telegrams for many years,but most of them were to say I got the job.Not everybody had a phone then and telegrams were common.

• Ken H
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

yes,stop.

• JOHN H
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I've never sent/ received any but when I worked for the G.P.O. in the 60's I delivered loads.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.