Does low blood pressure affect how quickly alcohol works?

I have fairly low blood pressure and generally poor circulation and alcohol has a really quick effect on me, ridiculously fast even and it's not like I'm new to drinking at all. And so it occurred to me that these two factors would be related I just wasn't sure exactly how. I'm going for another doc appointment later this week, but just wanted to see if any one else out there had an opinion on the matter. Would this explain why I get drunk so fast compared to someone else of my size and age?

• Fred S
    Favorite Answer

Alcohol causes vaso dilation of the vasculature which results in a reduction of blood pressure. If your blood pressure is already low then this can affect you cerebral perfusion and make you faint. Metabolism of alcohol is via the P450 system of the liver and depending on liver function how quickly or slowly the alcohol is metabolised.

Source(s): RN / Intensive Care Paramedic

1

Source(s): My Diabetes Gone Completely - http://diabetesgofar.com/?dGsr
  • Diane

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

They did a study. 90% of doctors thought BP meds helped their patients. 40% of patients thought they helped. only 10% of the families of the patients thought they helped. Think about it. Hypertension is NOT a deficiency of some pharmaceutical. Some organ of the body is hollering for MORE of something--(food, oxygen, or carrying off wastes) and the body is responding productively, by raising BP. Thus raised BP is NOT a bad thing, but a good thing. Now we need to figure out what it is that is needed MORE of. NO (Nitrous oxide) relaxes capilaries so more blood can flow. Supplement with L Arginine to increase NO. (There are other things, but that is a start) Start Oral Chelation to get rid of toxins, do a liver cleanse to (clean the liver). Try adding a bit of OXygen, if you can get it cheap. Clean the colon, in case that is the source of the toxic overload. Eat only good food. (no junk) Drink plenty of water, starting the day with at least a pint of warm water to help flush the colon. Do Not (Repeat NOT) take pills to stop the BP. It is like tieing down the safety release on a boiler. It works for a little bit, but the end is not good. The body is trying to live, work with it, not against it.

• Sir C

Just drink enough not to feel it at all. The alcohol is good for your circulation and keeping chloresterol under control but it sounds as if your body is trying to tell you you're over doing it. Red wine < 1 oz. morning and evening.