Why did the Maya begin their calendar on August 13, 3114 B.C?

The Maya is a Mesoamerican civilization, noted for the only known fully developed written language of the pre-Columbian Americas, as well as for its art, architecture, and mathematical and astronomical systems. Initially established during the Pre-Classic period (c. 2000 BC to 250 AD), according to the Mesoamerican... show more The Maya is a Mesoamerican civilization, noted for the only known fully developed written language of the pre-Columbian Americas, as well as for its art, architecture, and mathematical and astronomical systems. Initially established during the Pre-Classic period (c. 2000 BC to 250 AD), according to the Mesoamerican chronology, many Maya cities reached their highest state of development during the Classic period (c. 250 to 900 AD), and continued throughout the Post-Classic period until the arrival of the Spanish.

They started their Calendar on August 13, 3114 B.C but that was when their civilization did not exist, so why this specific date and why does it end on December 21, 2012?

I know that people spread rumors that it's about the sun aligning with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, but that happens every December 21, 2012. I also do not believe that the Black Hole in the center of the Galaxy would have any influence on us because we are to far away.
I know that there have been said that the Maya had connection with other worldly beings from another planet, the only reason I think people believe in that is because we do not know how the Maya build their pyramids, I'm currently studying Civil Engineering and with all the knowledge I've gained I still can't come to a conclusion. Where did they get this knowledge about Astronomy, Mathematics and Engineering? Why do the Calenders begin and end on these dates?