When would the IRS first time home buyer tax credit be owed back to the IRS?

My wife and I started to purchase a home in 2010 under a bond for title (owner financed) purchase style and got the first time home buyer tax credit for $8,000. After two year we have opted not to buy the home after an inspection showed several things that would prevent us from getting a satisfactory loan, so as of... show more My wife and I started to purchase a home in 2010 under a bond for title (owner financed) purchase style and got the first time home buyer tax credit for $8,000. After two year we have opted not to buy the home after an inspection showed several things that would prevent us from getting a satisfactory loan, so as of May 1st we will switch from owner/buyers to renters. Will my wife and I have to pay back the loan, or will we be alright if we stay in the house one more year, even if we are are doing so as renters? If we were to move early would we owe a pro-rated amount, or the full $8000?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Update: The IRS site is extremely vague on "rent to own" guidelines in this situation. It sounds like as long as we live in the house 3 years (even if the last year we are considered renters) we would not have to pay it back, but if we sell or move we would.
Thanks for all the answers.