How do I find a common theme and a universal truth in 11 different stories?!?!? Help asap please!?

For my final in english 1010 I have to write a two page essay discussing a common theme/ universal truth in each story we have read throughout the semester. Here is the list: Nathaniel Hawthorne-Young Goodman Brown, Edgar Allen Poe-Cask of Amontillado, Charlotte Perkins Gilman-The Yellow Wallpaper, Ernest Hemmingway-Hills Like White Elephants, Kate Chopin-The Story of an Hour, William Faulkner-A Rose for Emily, Charles Chesnutt-The wife of his youth, Langston Hughes-Salvation, MLK-Letters from a Birmingham Jail, Flannery O'Connor-A Good Man is Hard to Find, Alice Walker-Everyday Use . she also said I have to have examples from each story to back up my thesis. She just told us about this on monday and I am just about to have a break down :( I dont know what to do and this is due tomorrow!!!!!

For some reason it wont let me respond to the answer I just got. But YES! This is 100% serious! I am in panic mode!

Favorite Answer

There's no way in hell that this is a serious question.

If it is, I would recommend walking up to your teacher and delivering a falcon punch to her throat for nearly doubling the requirements of "six degrees of separation".

Source(s): English teacher for 13 years.
  • Faith

Truth is Truth. That which IS! Religions are simply concepts, ideas and beliefs. Religions are varied across the world's many cultures, expressed according to different cultures. Although varied on the surface with their customs and traditions, they all have the same ultimate goal or realisation - Truth. You could say that they are different paths to the same goal.This realisation to some religions would be labeled as God, Allah or Bhramin and to other religions as Self, Truth, Emptiness etc . Useful as POINTERS to Truth. Truth being that which simply IS. Beyond labels and concepts. religions and mind are only partial and limited. How could a part ever express the whole? Truth is something which must be realised and personally experienced. It is available to all of us. Truth is such an alive 'thing' (or no-thing for lack of a better word) it could never be contained in the bible, koran, gita etc For instance you could say the word 'fire' a million times but it will not burn your mouth. The word 'water' is never going to quench your thirst. As is religion. Religion can lead one to the realisation of truth. They are pointers to truth