is this normal for a civil/environmental engineering job at entry level?

at this engineering firm, they want to put me in customer service and all the other areas of their firm for training. and I'm sort of confused because my degree is in civil/environmental engineering. and that's why I applied for and that's what they know I want, so why are they putting me into other areas instead of Just engineering??

is this extra office work temporary? and if so, how temporary?

I want to start engineering, I don't care to be the office errand girl, or sales girl, or customer service girl, or whatever I just want to do the tasks for engineering!! I really hope the extra office work won't last more than a few months.and now I'm worried because i dont want it to last longer than a few months. have you been in this situation before? ahhh :(

• John
    Favorite Answer

I am going to take the optimistic view of your employer and suggest that while you want to jump right in, they want to have to understand everything you company does from the point of view of the customer. Have I seen this before, yes, and in the cases I have seen, it was temporary. However, there are stories of where it is not.

So, how do you deal with this and figure out what is going on. The first thing to do is to make a plan. If you are an engineer, you know that this is a problem to solve. And, this is a problem you have not seen before, so as an engineer, how to you go about solving a new problem.

What is the problem? Your career path and time it takes to get to the "exciting stuff". You need to be able to figure out who you can talk to understand what the plan the company has for you. You may have to talk to a few somebodies before you get a clear picture. You are not demanding a change of plan, you are looking for an understanding of what they expect you to get out of these temporary positions (did you notice how I make it be a positive - you are trying to live up to their expectations and you ant to clarify what they are and what the sequence of steps is and how long each lasts and what experiences that want to to have and who you report to , etc).

If after going through all of that you see you are not suited for this firm, find another. Stick it out if you have to, but if you don't like it, find something else.

If on the other hand they explain that they want to get you on project xyz but before that they want to expose you to abc and then other things, or they are waiting on a contract for such and such, or they need to send you to a particular training, or a myriad of other things, then do what you can to make yourself be the best at learning what you can from each experience and that will make you a better engineer.

I'm calling B.S. I don't know you from Adam, but it sounds strange to me. Why would I hire a new female engineer to answer phones, work customer service and operate a fax machine? I wouldn't!...unless...I was attempting to appear more diversified by having a female engineer on staff.

On the flip side; maybe "they" see an open position in the future and thought you would fit. But until then, you're an office admin. If I were you, I would try to recall the interview and ask myself some questions. "What did I miss?" "What is the reputation of the company?" "What is my salary compared to other new eng. and other office admins.?"

As a last resort, maybe you could sit down with the person who hired you and go over this development one more time. Then make a decision.

• ?

the corporate web pages have some fairly super internship classes, which could deliver approximately an entire time activity. I definately advise checking those out. a lot of those you listed have fairly formal classes. i've got additionally lined an engineering activity website interior the factors that should help your seek besides. stable success.