How much BELOW factory invoice would a 2013 Ford Mustang V6 Coupe sell for?

I'm buying a new car and I want to get the best price. The car is FULLY loaded and the sticker price is $32,870. I'm using the USAA Car Buying service and its telling me that my target price for this car should be $28K-$28.5K. Any thoughts?

Best Answer

The Mustang was freshened up for 2013, so you won't be buying one for below invoice for about another year, when the 2014's come out. Mustangs still sell well, so I wouldn't count on deep discounts. If the sticker price is about $33k and then the invoice will be around $29-30k. Keep in mind the invoice price isn't what the dealer actually paid for the car, it's more or less an arbitrary price that the manufacturer gives to help the dealer in negotiations. There are unpublished incentives and holdbacks involved as well. With that said, few dealers will willingly go below the invoice price, because at that point the salesman is making a "flat", there's no money in it for him/her, so they will cut you loose and try their luck with another customer.

I do think the target price they gave you is unrealistic, and I don't think you'll bet able to get them to go that low, at least not right now. Later in the model year you'll have a better chance at getting that kind of deal, but as I mentioned before the Mustang was refreshed for 2013, so the remaining 2012's on the lot are going to be the ones where the best deals are going to be had right now.

Source(s): Sold cars for a living at one point

well my uncle used to have a badass 2003 mustang gt and it was around 28k but for the new ones i would say about 28k for the v6 an 32k for the gt. but if it was me buying it i would spend a little extra money and get the gt.

it all depends how you are paying for it and how good your bargaining skills off.I have heard of some people buying them for $8k to $10k off invoice because dealers really aren't selling that many cars.

Who would spend that much on a piddly V6 when you can get a 412hp V8 for that?