How to build up finger callus for guitar?

I've been playing guitar for little less than two years and I've started out with nylon stringed classical guitar which didn't give me callus at all. Then when I switched to acoustic guitar and electric guitar my fingers were getting callus. The positive of all this is that my fingers build up callus pretty quickly, but I can't get them to stay on. They're always ripping off after few days...is this normal? How do I get them to settle down?

I've played violin (right handed) for nine years now, and I do have callus on my left hand. For guitar I play left handed, and it seems like my right hand is the one that will not get callus. I don't remember this happening while I was playing violin. Should I just convert back to playing right handed?

Also why are people calling it callous when I'm specifically referring to a noun and not the adverb/verb? or at least that's what I've been taught in my medical terminology class...

Favorite Answer

You are mistaking the callous itself for the layer of dead skin above it. First of all, DO NOT pull the skin off! It will naturally slough off itself. Callouses take a long time to develop. During this time the skin on your fingertips will constantly go through periods of getting hard and then sloughing off. This is part of the callousing process. After playing for many years you will find that this process does not occur the same. You fingertips will not be hard but there will be a cushion of calloused skin that is very resilient. This is the goal. The key to this is constant practice. At your stage you should strive to practice an hour a day. It is okay if you miss a day or two but the more you miss the less your callouses will develop. It is an ongoing process.

Source(s): G.I.T. graduate 35+ years playing/teaching http://www.youtube.com/user/gtarczar
  • verzi

Guitar Finger Callus

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've been playing guitar for little less than two years and I've started out with nylon stringed classical guitar which didn't give me callus at all. Then when I switched to acoustic guitar and electric guitar my fingers were getting callus. The positive of all this is that my fingers...

Source(s): build finger callus guitar: https://shortly.im/no6Hd

It just takes time and continuous play!

The more you play the better they will form.

If your finger gets too sensitive, you can put a little super glue on the tip, and it will be good as new,

Just make sure that you let it dry before you touch anything!

If not, you will have a problem.

Good Luck!

• Tony B

The word is callouses, they have become very fashionable here on Yahoo Answers! And yet no one seems to have a clue as to what they are!