How to build up finger callus for guitar?

I've been playing guitar for little less than two years and I've started out with nylon stringed classical guitar which didn't give me callus at all. Then when I switched to acoustic guitar and electric guitar my fingers were getting callus. The positive of all this is that my fingers build up callus... show more I've been playing guitar for little less than two years and I've started out with nylon stringed classical guitar which didn't give me callus at all. Then when I switched to acoustic guitar and electric guitar my fingers were getting callus. The positive of all this is that my fingers build up callus pretty quickly, but I can't get them to stay on. They're always ripping off after few days...is this normal? How do I get them to settle down?
Update: I've played violin (right handed) for nine years now, and I do have callus on my left hand. For guitar I play left handed, and it seems like my right hand is the one that will not get callus. I don't remember this happening while I was playing violin. Should I just convert back to playing right handed?... show more I've played violin (right handed) for nine years now, and I do have callus on my left hand. For guitar I play left handed, and it seems like my right hand is the one that will not get callus. I don't remember this happening while I was playing violin. Should I just convert back to playing right handed?

Also why are people calling it callous when I'm specifically referring to a noun and not the adverb/verb? or at least that's what I've been taught in my medical terminology class...
1 answer 1