Are motorcycles extremely dangerous deathtraps?

Sorry, I should really re-word that.

"To what extent are motorcycles extremely dangerous deathtraps?"

My intelligent friend never says the word motorbike, but, says, "Deathtrap" instead. I beleive him.

Favorite Answer

Motorcycles are safe. People are dangerous. Do stupid things on a motorcycle and bad things happen. Other drivers do stupid things around motorcycles and bad things happen.

People also die in cars. Does this make cars death traps also? I don't think your friend is as intelligent as you think he is.

I have been riding since 1965. I have owned several motorcycles and none of them have killed me yet.

Ride Safe - Have Fun

Always remember this. On a motorcycle stupid hurts.

Cage drivers who don’t pay attention are dangerous, boys who drive like they are in race to beat other drivers who are not competing with them and women who are paying more attention to the inside of their car then the outside.

• JetDoc

Absolutely! That's why you see so many of them on the roads these days... Most people in the country secretly have a death wish! That's why I have been riding motorcycles since 1963!

• Dimo J

I started riding in 1964. On the street I have had a couple os very slow/dead stopped drops, involving a total of abrasion of less than a square inch. I have never crashed in the meaning of having another vehicle/object. Repeat: NO CRASHES.

I totaled a sports car in '65, have had about dozen fender benders, hitting me at or near a dead stop.

Motorcycles are, in my experience, are *far safer* than cars/vans/trucks.

Motorcycles are not dangerous. Most motorcyclists are dangerous.

Motorcycles arent deathtraps some of the guys/girls on them make them that way if you drive responsibly. ( i mean i gun it every now and then because i mean come on we all the sound of a roaring engine) but i never speed or race.

Street use motorcycles have high risk - period. Injury risk from other drivers is high. 5,000 lb car versus 500lb motorcycle with rider exposed is inherently dangerous.

Additionally, street dikes have added risk road condition risk. Gravel, oil, potholes are all much higher risk of causing crash than with a car.

The above said, with care and experience and proper training, street bikes can be very fun.

Compared to what? I've been into high risk sports all my life and I put a motorcycle at about medium risk.

When you ride a bike in traffic there are people out there who may as well be conciously trying to kill you. You are not surrrounded by a steel cage,it's just you and giant fast moving equipemnt driven by homicidial maniacs. That's a fact.

[1] I have been riding for 37 years, and I'm still alive. None of the 6 bikes which I currently own has killed me.

[2] As a motorcycle instructor (since 2004), I have taught over 1,000 students how to ride. None have died yet.

YES very,get a 4 wheel coffin instead,by the way once you get your bike never let your "friend"ride it,sit or even touch it.

Also,is time to get new friends,preferable ones that own and ride motorcycles and share your enthusiasm for motorcycles.

Source(s): got a joke for people that ask what you do when it rains? simple when was the last time you got to do 3 things at the same time? i get to take a shower,wash my clothes and take a bath when i ride in the rain.

I've had 6 motorcycles since I was 12, and I haven't killed myself yet. But I guess there's always a FIRST TIME. I'll have to get back with you on that last one.