Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 8 years ago

What are the steps to becoming a naturalized citizen of the United States?

I just need a few simple steps for a school work assignment. Please help!

Favorite Answer

The person needs to be at least 18 years old, meaning be an adult.

Other requirements pertain to:

- having lived at least the past 5 years in the United States as a "lawful permanent resident" (LPR) with a Green Card (nothing else counts)

- having never failed to file a required income tax return

- have not been outside the country for any extended period of time

- have not been in trouble with the law (good moral character clause)

- being able to communicate in English

It all starts with an N-400 petition to the USCIS. The cost is $680 and it currently takes about 5 months to process from start to finish. The next step is that the applicant has to attend a biometrics appointment (once again) to be processed for fingerprints, digital photos, etc. Step three is the interview in front of an immigration officer. Here the applicant will also pass the easy English and the 100 -question civic test. An option at this time is to be reborn with any new name within reason, and I myself took advantage of this. The final step is an Oath Ceremony in the presence of a federal judge where the applicant and American-to-be surrenders their Green Card and takes the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. At the same time they will formally renounce any and all loyalty to their former country and its people.

At the end of the ceremony the now American receives their Certificate of Naturalization. With it they can apply for a passport, and, should they have changed their name, all other documents, from a new SS card to a new driver's license, bank cards, credit cards, you name it.

Source(s): The son of a German mother and a Swedish father, I have lived in 6 European countries before immigrating to Southern California two decades ago. I work as a corporate attorney in Santa Barbara and answering questions here is my way of giving back.
  • Ed