Can I move to Israel if I convert to Judaism?

I'm Atheist (Ex-Catholic) and live in Europe. I have always admired the Jewish people and think they are some of the most intelligent and enlightened people in the world. Israel is an amazing country and I'd love to live there some day.

If I were to convert to Reform Judaism, would I be allowed to immigrate to Israel? I've just finished university and would love to start a new life over there.

I know if I were to convert to Orthodox or Conservative Judaism I'd be allowed to immigrate, but I specifically would prefer Reform Judaism as I like their belief system.

Lol. Yes, I'm circumcised...

• Ami
    Favorite Answer

As others have already mentioned, anyone who wants to can move to Israel under their regular immigration procedures.

Anyone who has at least one Jewish grandparent or who has converted to Judaism under the auspices of a recognized movement of Judaism (including Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform Judaism) can immigrate under the Law of Return and receive oleh (immigrant) benefits provided by the State of Israel. The process for converts can get complicated, because the Ministry of the Interior has some unwritten rules (which the Supreme Court actually declared illegal--but they apparently continue to do it anyway), which include staying within the community in which you converted for a year--to prevent fraud. See the conversion section on ITIM's website: http://www.itim.org.il/eng/

Also, while all Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform conversions performed abroad are accepted by the State of Israel, the Chief Rabbinate only accepts certain Orthodox conversions performed by batei din on a special list. If you convert Reform, you will not be able to be married in Israel (you'll have to go abroad and get married, because the State will recognize marriages performed abroad--most Israelis who have this problem go to Cyprus) or be buried in a cemetery controlled the Rabbanut. There are various other options.

Simply converting in order to immigrate to Israel is not a valid reason to convert. Make sure you're converting for the right reasons: http://www.convert.org/Should_I_Convert.html

• stupka

Can You Convert To Judaism

• Melkha

You can move to Israel without converting to Judaism. Israel is currently a secular Nation. There are a few (about 23 at last count) Progressive/Reform synagogues in Israel.

You don't have to convert to Judaism, though the naturalization process is longer

As for converting to Reform Judaism, all overseas conversions are considered valid. However, only Orthodox conversions are considered valid within Israeli borders

Also, Jews only accept honest converts, and once converted, you are converted for life. The conversion process is long and hard. This is to ensure you are making the right decision

Whatever you decide, do what is right for you

Source(s): ..

a million. consult with a rabbi as a regular step. the approach can take from a million 3 hundred and sixty 5 days (Liberal/revolutionary) to 3 years (Orthodox). however, in the adventure that your purely reason to transform to Judaism is to serve in the IDF, you will have difficulty looking a rabbi prepared to artwork with you. 2. participate actively on your close by Jewish community *after* changing for no less than one 3 hundred and sixty 5 days. Then, have your rabbi write a letter on your behalf. 3. start up the approach for aliyah (immigration into Israel as a Jew). touch your close by Israeli embassy/consulate for that.

You can move to Israel regardless of your religion.

Conversion is about true beliefs, not about wanting to be legal to change countries of residence. You wouldn't be allowed to convert if that's your main reason.

Did you know you can't immigrate TO any place, you must immigrate FROM somewhere. If you are going TO Israel, that would be Emigration.

Circumcision has nothing to do with it, either.

Jeese! WHERE do people get this crap?

• Kevin7

Israel also accepts nonJewish immigrants,consult an immigration attorney

You're an atheist....And you decided that you believe in the Judeo-Christian god all of a sudden? This makes no sense to me, unless, you are going to pretend to believe, just so you can move to Israel.

P.S. Moving to Israel is a bad idea, as Israel could be destroyed by an Iranian nuke...soon!