Are Classical musics the best musics?

Classical musics are the origin of almost musics.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • petr b
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

REVISED:

With the use of the word "MUSICS" in the question, I had thought immediately of all 'refined' musics from all cultures, not just Western Art Music. I was quick in answering in the first response: at second glance, thought it important to revise this to elaborate upon the aspects of the meaning of 'MUSICS.' Ergo, this revision....

Refined 'art music' was most certainly not the origin of every other type of music. That attribution must go to prehistoric and spontaneous 'invention' of music, and it must be thought of first as 'folk music.' (Anyone interested in this might find "40,000 Years of Music; Man in Search of Music," by Jacques Chailly -- with a preface by Virgil Thomson -- a pleasurable and interesting read.)

I like a lot of genres, but Classical for me is still well over 99.999% of 'my kind of "musics," ' whether that is western classical or music from other cultures.

The history of music development had to be 'folk music' first, then more specialized song(s) and only much later, when music began to be codified and 'pieces' passed on orally or later written down, do we have 'classical musics.'

If 'MUSICS' REFERS TO ALREADY DEVELOPED 'SOPHISTICATED' MUSIC FROM OTHER CULTURES, THEN, YES, SOME OF THOSE MUSICS WERE / ARE THE PREDECESSORS, IN THE GLOBAL TIME-LINE OF THE HISTORY OF MUSIC, THE 'ORIGIN' OF WESTERN CLASSICAL MUSIC, TOO.

Music was codified and refined in 'eastern' civilizations while it was at a lesser degree of development in the western civilizations.

One should first think of any highly developed instrument - a calculated synthetic device, invented out of a will that an instrument should be able to 'do' something musical and specific. That means people already had a set notion -- or conceit -- of a developed concept of what music is, and on a highly sophisticated level.

The Chinese instruments, the Guqin, for example, a table zither with seven silk strings, is a highly technical development with a very direct purpose to make music of a refined complexity. An idea of a formal and 'elegant' music had to have been in place for any such device to have been invented and willfully constructed in the first place. There was more than likely a 'chicken or egg' circumstance of an earlier and simpler instrument, that stimulating musicians ideas of a more highly developed music, causing the advance which motivated the Gugin as we now know it. [That progressive time-line is, in a nutshell, a part of all stories of the advance of 'art music,' anywhere -- an instrument, musicians thinking of and wanting more, then a technological advance of that instrument.] As to sophisticated music, its further development and instruments, the same would be true of any instrument from any culture, the Erhu, a Sitar, a Virginal, Clavichord, Harpsichord, Piano, etc.

It is known fact, apart from simple flutes,

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/09...

(at about 40,000 years old, this points back to the aforementioned book, "40,000 years of music.") that about any other instrument construct, excepting keyboard instruments, has a precedent 'ancestor' which was first from the far eastern cultures.

Musical development toward 'art music' is a universal occurrence in many cultures; in some cultures that tradition and the literature was passed on orally. There are numerous historic appearances of musical notation from ancient cultures -- Mesopotamia, Egypt, Persia, India, China, Greece and Rome. another demonstration that there was desire and will to 'write down and preserve' some sort of refined music, a deliberate way of transmitting music from one generation to another.

One of the oldest written pieces from China, in tablature format, is a piece for the Guqin,"Solitary Orchid," often attributed to Confucius,"...composed during the 6th or 7th century, with the earliest preserved text dating from the 7th century,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jieshi_Diao_Youlan

That piece had been written for the Gugin during the first century of what western history calls "the middle ages." In Europe, the earliest system of Neumes, western musical notation, come from the middle of the 9th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_notation#Earl...

Yes, I tend to prefer the 'refined' classical musics, and I do think them 'better' than the simpler genres of 'folk' and 'popular' musics -- though in those genres, there is sometimes a pure simplicity (part of their native characteristic) and immediacy of communication which should not be looked down upon.

Best regards.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

classical music is one of the first type of music that existed. It existed WAY before organized music with verses. This question is also very opinionated, and you are going to get biased answers because this is the classical music category. Some people might like rock and pop, some jazz, some blues, some soul, and some country. It's ALL a matter of opinion. If you want MY opinion, I think classical is the most enjoyable to listen to and is the best.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Well that's all a matter of opinion and in my opinion it's not the best but a close second

And Classical is not the origin of all *music* maybe modern music but organized music has existed long before Classical music

Maxwell:Organized music has existed as far back as ancient China if not prior in the form of Folk, chants and battle music

Source(s): Have a great day :D
  • Just to correct what the other person said, classical music is one of the first type of music that existed. It existed WAY before organized music with verses. This question is also very opinionated, and you are going to get biased answers because this is the classical music category. Some people might like rock and pop, some jazz, some blues, some soul, and some country. It's ALL a matter of opinion. If you want MY opinion, I think classical is the most enjoyable to listen to and is the best.

Maybe you should rephrase your question as, "Do you think classical music is the best type of music?"

Best regards.

@Petr B- Actually, everybody thinks differently, and since the definition of an opinion is something that can't be proved, and what types of music people like can't be proved, classical music being the best is a matter of opinion depending on people's tastes. For example, some people might find classical to be the best because of its interesting fast tempo and combination of notes. Some people might like country because it is heartwarming. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're right, folk music did come first, but that's beside the point.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I love classical music. And I think it is great. However, it is not the best choice all the time. Because it still depends on personal opinions and the compositions.

I think today, there are many good kinds of music with fantastic songs, especially pop and country. You can find some and try listening.

Good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.