What's a safe amount of time to indulge a sense of schadenfreude?

I wouldn't want to end up bitter and twisted but as a friend said, I deserve a bit of fun.

I'm asking here because I expect mature answers.

Best Answer

Evidently I do not know all the definitions of "schadenfreude". In my case, I had a certain amount of pleasure in seeing my ex-wife react to the news that oil wells were being put on my property that I had acquired after the divorce was finalized....Which meant she would not get a drop of royalty money from it.

But in your case, I seem to sense a type of sexual connotation connected to the question. Is the true meaning in my first paragraph, or the second one? I am slightly naive when it comes to anything exotic.

No, taking joy in the discomfort or misfortune of others is a waste of your time. If you find your own life so dissatisfying, or if your bitterness toward another person is so great that you actually entertain your mind with thoughts schadenfreude, then you need to refocus. Any satisfaction you glean from knowing "they got theirs" is short-lived and ultimately continues to tie you to that person (emotionally). Isn't it much more freeing and fulfilling to let that person go and find satisfaction in having outgrown them?

Plus, let's face it, schadenfreude is karma's close friend. The minute you take joy in others' misfortunes, karma can't be far behind.

Damocles has no idea what he is talking about. I work on quite a large site, the best way to enjoy people getting hurt is to do it with friends, but you have to expect pain in return, just bear in mind, the larger your group of friends, the more targets you have, but also the more people who can pick you as a target.

Practical jokes are a fun way of watching people get hurt, just not seriously (I hope).

Then again, if you know you won't get caught, you can set up certain jokes in a public area and watch strangers suffer too.

Source(s): Igor

I think this is the appropriate time for this saying:

Learning from your own mistakes is experience.

Learning from the mistakes of others is wisdom.

Laughing at the misfortunes of others is funny as hell.

I find it is the right time to express shadenfreude when it is strangers who are suffering. I have too much sympathy for the people I know and like to get any pleasure from their pains. There is a difference between slowing down to look at a traffic accident and watching a friend get into a fight with his girlfriend.

Probably depends on the situation and you don't want to like it so much that the gods decide to serve you a little pain of your own, but I will say that I generally like bitter and twisted people. So enjoy! Then again, I live in NYC...

One or two hours initially. If it's still really satisfying after that, don't give it more than 5 minutes thought at a time.

There you go using them $12 words again

It is Monday morning and I have to research a question before answering it?

An hour or so on Y!A should fulfill your needs. Any more than that and you risk becoming a misanthrope.

Just fk up relationships, that's what I do, you screw with your friends gf, then pin it on her, you tell them to do all the wrong **** so that they **** up...

For example. now I'm ******* someone to get to his cousins gf who's hotter, and, first I wanted to **** this girls friends, but turns out she likes this girls cousin, so what better challenge to **** his gf, and just see what happens.

Good ol' fun ^^

Mix it up, get a friend to fall head over heels over a guy, then take him, dump him and tell her he was a scmbag!