Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

Spanish double object pronouns help!?

I never understood indirect and direct object pronouns, and now when I am learning double object pronouns.. I am even more screwed. I have 2 questions

1." Le dejaron la propina al mesero? " Si, ya se la dejamos

couldn't it be "Si, ya dejarsela" also be correct?

2. Necesitamos pagar la cuenta . Puede Traernosla, por favor

couldn't it be " puede se la traemos, pro favor"

1) Sí, derjatsela is wrong, it means "Yes, to leave it to him"

You have to say "Se la dejamos"

In old Spanish (like centries ago), sometimes an unconjugated verb could be a command. Like "Miraros" (Look at yourself), but it is not correct now adays and besides, you are not saying a command, rather a statement in the past tense.

2) Here, you need to say "Peuede tarernosla" OR "Nos la puede traer"

The direct and indirect objects NEVER are between the auxiliary verb and the second verb. If you were studying French, it would be right to say "Pouvez-vous nous l'apporter" but in Spanish the object pronouns either go all before the auxiliaryt verb (in this case, poder) or attached to the second verb at the end

Source(s): Trilingual household (French, Spainish and English)

1- No it could not be 'si, ya dejarsela' because dejar is in the infinitive form and you must have a conjugated verb in a sentence. You are correct at putting the pronouns at the end of an unconjugated verb though.. for example quieres comer las tortillas? si, yo quiero comerlas (I want to eat them.. las refers to the tortillas".

2- No it could not be "puede se la traermos'. Puede is conjugated and directly after a conjugated verb (unless creating a new clause) the verb MUST be infinitive. So you would say 'puede traernosla, por favor' nos refers to us, la refers to the cuenta

Source(s): 8 years of Spanish classes