Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 9 years ago

Any information on Alco Transactions? Anyone used it and got a good service out of it?

Favorite Answer

They establish a shipping amount from the beginning with the seller, for example you sell a bike and they say the shipping will cost $150. That will be deducted from the listing price. However, they are not stupid, they list items on local classifieds websites like craigslist, kijiji, etc. On websites like these, only local people or people close by will buy because no one from California will buy something from New York on craigslist for example, so they say they cover all fees but actually they sell local.

I've learned that they have a lot of warehouses across the country which are not listed on their website but they keep items they sell there. So if you sell your bike in CA, they certainly have your bike somewhere in CA and the shipping will cost less than they charge you. There are rare cases where someone buys something from a state far from the one where the item was listed and they have to ship without asking for more money, that's a risk they take. But that is a rare case and mostly on small items.

That's why they don't list items with their logo on Craigslist, because if someone from CA would see a bike listed in NY with the Alco logo, they would know that the shipping would be a problem and would want to buy, but Alco would loose money.

Hope that answered your question. Thanks

A good service indeed, I ran into them in January when I found a great deal on a scooter and I had to purchase it through them. Never heard of them at that time and was reluctant, especially when my wife said not to buy anything through a third party but the deal was too good and I couldn't miss it. I eventually bought the scooter because it was a rare find and I was looking for one for some time, I had to take the chance and it proved to be a good deal.

I purchased a plasma cutter on November last year and the deal was pretty good, nothing to complain. I am not sure if you are referring on selling or buying since your question is not too explicit but I'm sure the service is as good for the sellers as it is for the buyers.

never used it either but know people that did. I do have a question that bothers me:

How can they afford shipping items across the country with no cost for the buyer at all? If the seller pays these fees, how can he/she afford that?

I sold a few things and it's not that expensive, depends on what you are selling and for how much because you have to consider that your asking price will include their fees. If the item doesn's sell they don't charge anything.

never used them but friends of mine did and they have nothing to complain

The service has good and bad things but by the looks of things i think they are on the right track.

what i mean is they don't have a phone number yet but their customer support is fast.

They don't allow pick up of items but they offer a 10 day guarantee, they are free for buyers but a little expensive for sellers since the seller pays all the fees, even if they are deducted from the service commission, in the end the seller is the one who pays the fees after my calculations.

They do offer a significant security for online transactions especially on free classifieds websites like kijiji, craigslist, gumtree, but i don't think they are useful on eBay because that's a very secure website and there is no need for services like this.

Anyway, nobody's perfect so all things aside, they are a good service to use.

Sylvia

I had reservations too when I first used them to buy a camper especially when that camper was my place to live and all my savings was invested in that. But I was assured by a friend that the service is legitimate and made the transaction which was a success.

Thanks

Yes, I have and got a good service out of it.