Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 8 years ago

Typically, how much do weddings cost?

My boyfriend of 6 years and I have been talking about marriage. We would definitely like to get married but want to do so knowing that we'll be able to afford it. In totality, how much does a decent wedding cost? Including venue, dj, flowers, dress, cake, everything. Just an estimate, about how much would you say a wedding costs?

Favorite Answer

$10, 000 is the average cost, but you can find ways to make it cheaper, ie getting a 2nd hand dress and getting alterations done to fit you properly, borrowing a fake cake for the traditional cake, and just have one tier real for the traditional cutting and/or your 1st anniversary, and have a sheet cake cut up for your guests, this can save hundreds just make sure the fake cake is away before you bring out the cake. I'm not sure if there's a way to make the flowers cheaper, but you could opt for a non flower centre piece, and just have the bouquets and boutonnieres

sometimes you can get amazing deals for venues that they can come with decorations and tables and whatnot, sometimes even catering, and that can bring the price down a significant amount

Source(s): wedding planner

You can have a beautiful ceremony, reception and honeymoon for $3,000-$5.000 but the average cost is $25,000 to $30,000.

I always tell my brides if they also are looking to buy a house at the same time your trying to plan a wedding it will not work. You either do one or the other, not both at the same time.

If you want to plan yourself that's fine but a planner can and will save you more money than you think. Everyone thinks planners are expensive and can not be in the budget but the opposite is true. That is if you interview planners and don't just pick the first one you find.

True, there are some planners that charge a lot and there are those who say they have experience and then you find out at your wedding they don't.

When you think about a planner, they should save you time, stress and headaches along with money. A good planner will also recommend vendors that will fit your personality and style instead of the most expensive because they know you will go over your budget anyway.

Now I am not trying to offend any planners,consultants,coordinators,venue planners or their managers who might be here along with myself on Yahoo Answers. If you've been in the business vendors and venues alike know what I am talking about. Brides really do need to see the real picture of the industry and how they can really save time, headaches and money along the way.

The easiest way to keep costs down is to make a realistic budget, write down your needs and then fill in with wants, remember to have deposits as part of your budget and please think about when you go dress shopping that your not wearing the designer label down the aisle, its the dress your guests will see and how beautiful you are as a glowing bride in it.

Source(s): 25 yrs wedding & event specialist
  • Mircat

Basically it depends on the choice of venue, the number of guests, the choice of food, and whether you serve alcohol. So it would all just be a vague guess. You can do small weddings that are in backyards and potlucks or bbqs and still have a great wedding. Or get married at city hall then blow the bundle on the reception. Maybe call some wedding planners as if you were going to hire one and get costs doesn't mean you have to sign a contract with them.

• Amelia

I bought a book about how to have a wedding for $5000 or less...and it has helped a lot. You just have to budget and watch your expenses. See if you can find people to donate things a wedding gifts, like the cake or have family make the food instead of catering (which costs a TON if you have a large wedding). I am looking at spending around $4000 total. Lucky for me, my future in-laws are willing to help with some of the cost.

• Stacy

Apparently the average in the US is around $27,000. I, however, don't know anybody who has spent that much on a wedding. On the low end of things, I think $3,000 is enough to give you a decent, and decent sized wedding. That's about how much ours is costing, and it's not skimping on anything. We did a ton of research to get super good deals though. A better amount I think is in the $5,000-$10,000 range, but that's only if you're comfortable and able to spend that much.

There are a ton of ways to cut down costs though, so you can have the wedding you want. Good luck!

The average American wedding costs between $25,000 to $30,000. In major cities like Los Angeles, New York, and Miami, you're looking at upwards of $50,000 to $100,000, and even more most of the time.

What most people don't understand is with a little time, patience, and digging, any couple can have a beautiful wedding with all the fixin's for $10,000 and WAY less than that. My hubby and I had a 75 guest wedding complete with 4 hours reception, food, music, and cake for $4,500. We did a lot of things ourselves, bargain hunted, and had a good amount of help from family and friends pitching in. True, some brides and grooms don't have photographers or make up artists for friends and their mothers can't cook to save their lives, but that doesn't mean that you can't get away with getting something for way less.

Just hunt and pinch and save. DO NOT TAKE OUT A LOAN OR MAX OUT YOUR CREDIT CARDS FOR ONE DAY. This mistake is all too common and ends up biting you in the a$$. Only do what you can afford, period. Also, go to your local bookstore and check out a book called "Bridal Bargains." This book will save your life and your wallet.

I think the last figures I read were close to $20K... I know many many people that have had beautiful, elegant, even formal weddings on much less. The largest expenses seem to be the dress, flowers, and about 1/3 of the budget is catering, and of course the honeymoon.

When establishing your budget sit down and think of all the things you'd like... and price them. Then pare it down to what you need, what you really want, what you want... and then scale those to fit what you feel you can afford.

I am getting married in 3 weeks, and ours is running around $2,000. You can find really nice dresses for cheap, (mine was about $300), we are using silk flowers that we purchased from a craft store and the florist is going to fix them up for us, we are cooking a nice dinner instead of hiring someone to do it. We bought our decorations, having the reception at a location free of charge, and using our church. Hope this helped!

i think it insane to spend more than 5000 "houston texas dollars" on a wedding.

An average wedding in a city (not rural) is $15-20,000.