Seniors - What are your memories of Jonathan Frid?

The Yale University-trained Canadian actor who played "Barnabas Collins" on the "Dark Shadows" TV show from 1967 to 1971 and turned it into a cult classic died on Friday the Thirteen at age 87, it was announced yesterday.

(This is a re-posting of the obviously very legitimate question I asked yesterday when the announcement of Frid's death was made. But at that time someone was "reporting" every post I made. I have asked Yahoo to look into who reported this question. So if this is also "reported," it ought to make Yahoo's job easier.)

• Terry
    Favorite Answer

When I saw this Q I googled it and found a blogger from my hometown who also watched it at 4 PM every day after school.

"Around 1968 ABC decided to move it to 3:00 PM which meant its audience would miss it since they would be en route home from school. There was almost a national riot, so ABC put it back to 4:00 PM.

It was filmed live, meaning that any all mistakes would be shown to the public no matter what, since there were no re-takes. That made the show even more fun to watch.

Jonathan Frid in his heyday as Barnabas Collins was in a Christmas parade in ...around 1969 (which I went to) and he drew some of the largest parade crowds known to our town at that time."

My favorite character was Angelique played by the gorgeous & scary eyed Lara Parker.

Thanks for re-posting; I wouldn't have heard about this otherwise.

I loved Dark Shadows. My shorthand teacher told me about the show and I was hooked from the first episode I watched. I lived across the street from the school and since my last class ended at 3:30 I was able to get home to see the show.

After school ended I moved back home, my mother also became hooked on the show so we would watch it together. Funny thing is my cat would scratch at the door when it came on. I'd let him in and he'd lay on the arm of the sofa and watch the tv, then when the show was over he'd jump down and want out again. Did it every day Mon-Fri, wouldn't do it on Sat-Sun, like he knew the days of the week and when the show wasn't on.

I even named my pet monkey Jonathan after Mr. Frid. I had a different plan for Barnabus, but I don't think my female, black cat would have like to have been named that, so that plan was out the window.

RIP, Mr. Frid. You changed the lives of several people.

I didn't know he had passed. Sorry to hear this, but he lived a long life, not as long as Barnabas, but a long life. I, like many others loved the tv show, and he was my favorite, he and Angelic, Lara Parker, what a pair. Coud be after seeing the pathetic promos for the new Dark Shadows movie, it was like a stake in the heart. RIP Jonathan Frid. I remember having a black onyx ring (costume) jewelry, just like you wore, when I was a Freshman in high school.

I never saw the show in 1966-1971. Back then I was working two jobs. My wife and I purchased the whole series on dvd. We've been chronologically making our way through the entire enjoyable series. I remember seeing Mr. Frid on talk shows like The Tonight Show, etc. and enjoying his voice and enunciation.

• Diana

I was so hooked on Dark Shadows back in the mid 60's. Yes, I remember Jonathan Frid - he was so good in the part. Actually, that's the only part I think I've seen him in. He really died on Friday the 13th?? that's bizarre.

ps - sorry I got you and Spike confused in that earlier post. Like I said, it was 2 a.m. when I read it and I was half awake. Glad you're still here.

I have an tree courting lower back over three hundred years on my mom's mom's area of the kinfolk. it really is a thrill to be sure a representation of my who stay everyplace from Australia to Buenos Aires and everywhere in the U. S. and Canada. On my father's mom's area, i exploit Genie the position i'm linked to that strains lower back many generations besides. It also supplies me a experience for the genetic results of options. There are 3 authors, which includes me, yet the different 2 are widespread; extremely some scientists which includes a widespread one and in no way a unmarried recorded villain, that's disappointing. at the same time as i replaced into turning out to be up, one in each of my acquaintances had a uncle who replaced into the boss of the Mafia in our city. Now, that's extra interesting that having the scientist who chanced on the treatment for a hoof-and-mouth epidemic between cattle in England! yet i wager you are able to thank our kinfolk for the hamburger on your bun!

• bbgns

I was a fan of Dark Shadows. But, what I remember most was a movie he made that I saw at the Drive-in Theater. Can't remember the name of it. It was in the seventies. He played a writer I think, who kept having horrible nightmares, then waking up, over and over again. It ends with him having been asleep the whole time. Friends and family thought he died a peaceful death in his sleep. Not. Anyway, it scared my friend and me to death!

To be honest, not many, but I know he had a cult following, kind of. Odd that he died on Friday the 13th, eh? We watched it every day after school, my sister and I, and I think my sister was the bigger fan. RIP, Mr. Frid.

• I didn't hear or read about that, I've loved watching "Dark Shadow" it was a afternoon soap opera back in the days..what was the cause of death?..that so sad..

I believe we have several report buddies on here that are doing those..I've even mention ti several times on my answers to several questions lately too..if you would open your email I can tell who I think they are..But thanks for the into, I didn't realizes he was that old either..=)

• jonds

I watched it but don't think the acting was that great but the show was different. It was my job to collect the eggs from the chicken coop and there are no street lights in the country, had a great fear of vampires.