If I get flagged for 3rd-party-matching content on YouTube, what do I do to avoid being copyright-struck?

Having a copyright strike is extremely serious on YouTube. Similar to the 3-strikes law in California. 3 copyright strikes and you are out--that is, you lose your YouTube account forever! You get one or two strikes, half of your YouTube privileges will be taken away (for instance, no more extended uploads on your videos).

But if I am flagged for 3rd-party-matching content, there is a risk that I could be "copyright-struck", so what do I do?

Favorite Answer

Simply don't use materials you don't have the rights to.

For example songs, if I used Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' YouTube's system would automatically know that song and tell me that I have matched 3rd party material.

If you're struggling with finding songs you have the rights to you can search: Royalty-Free Music

On the internet. Royalty-free music sites allow you to put their music on your videos without having to purchase rights, so there will be no copyright claims. Most websites offer these songs free but for some good songs there can be a price tag.

Here's a good Royalty-Free music website:

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

Source(s): I'm a YouTube Partner
  • Cory

The only real way to avoid getting a copyright strike is to not use other peoples' copyrighted work without their permission.

Don't use other people's content without their permission.

- Dominic