Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

how to become a comedy writer?

i like comedy a lot. i would say I'm a pretty funny person but have a hard time putting it onto paper. i am reading a book about how to be a comedy writer. should i just continue to read books that are about how to write funny things? and watch funny shows like jon stewart, stephen colbert, bill maher, and larry david (curb your enthusiasm and Seinfeld)?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Reading and watching to learn the format can be helpful - but if you want to be a writer you're going to have to actually write! Don't edit yourself before you even start. Set aside time EVERY DAY to just write. Some days you may be brilliant, other days not-so-much, but it doesn't matter. Just write. Maybe start by writing a script for a comedy show that you like.

After you're written for a while, get people to read what you've written. You're going to have to have a pretty thick skin and take the notes you receive. Just remember, as painful as it might seem the goal is to make you a better writer. And since improving your writing is the goal, you'll need input from people other than your mother and best friend. You need people who know about comedy writing to read your work and give you input. So it might be helpful to join a writers group or take a class - the benefits of these is that you get helpful notes about your writing.

The other benefits of joining a writers group or taking classes it it helps you network - another important thing you'll have to do. You need to get to know people in the business. Other things you could try doing is attending writer events or work as a writer assistant, things like that.

But the first step - WRITE.

• James
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

1) Write something funny.

2) Do it again.

3) Submit it to someone who wants to buy comedy material, in the manner that they want to see submissions.

• 9 years ago

What Katrina said. I'd have thumbed her up if I were on level 2.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.