How do I choose an SSD Drive for my Windows Computer?

I know that capacity is one consideration. What are the other factors that differentiate a SSD drive? SATA vs ? I'm looking for something to increase performance during multi-tasking, system startup and because my C drive is going bad. So, I'll want to install Windows 7 and a few other applications that I use most often onto the SSD drive.

Thanks,

Bruce

• ?
    Best Answer

SSD's use the same SATA interface as regular mechanical hard drives. To get the most benefitr out of an SSD you should buy one that is rated at SATA 3 speeds, you will also need SATA 3 speed ports on your motherboard too. If you only have SATA 2 on your mobo then you won't get the full benefit of a fast SSD, although it will be faster that a traditional hard drive.#

Next you need to consider the size as per GB SSD's are still quite expensive.

To use a boot drive for Windows and to store the program files folder, [put your personal user files on another mechanical HDD] 128GB is really the minimum size. If you want to put a lot of games on the SSD to improve load times then 256GB is more realistic.

The other alternative is to use a low capacity SSD of 64GB as a hidden disk that is is used as a cache to speed up windows boot time, and access to commonly used software. The drive will not appear in MyComputer as it is a cache drive only and you files and windows install will be on a regular hard drive. To be able to use this method you have to have a motherboard with an Intel SandyBridge CPU and the specific Z68 chipset, only boards with this chipset support the use of SSD as a cache drive using Intels supper fetch technology