"Must Read" Books for a sixteen year old?!?

Hey! I'm sixteen and I love to read! I love teenage books about drama and drugs and sex, but I also love old literature and the classics. I've read: almost ALL Shakespeare, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye, The Lord of the Flies, All the novels, memoirs, and history books on WWII. Im not a big fan of fantasy, so please don't suggest the Hunger Games, or Harry Potter or Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I won't read them. Thanks for your input! Descriptions are greatly appericiated!

• ?
    Best Answer

Here are some good teen drama books you might like (no fantasy!):

My Life As a Rhombus by Varian Johnson - When Rhonda tutors a fellow student in trig her past comes back to haunt her. (304 pages) http://www.shvoong.com/books/novel-novella/2270822...

Romiette and Julio by Sharon Draper - An African-American high school girl, Romiette, falls in love with Mexican-American boy, Julio, despite opposition from parents, community, and school gang members. (236 pages) http://www.shvoong.com/books/romance/2028074-romie...

The First Part Last by Angela Johnson - teen pregnancy told from the guy's point of view. 16 y.o Bobby struggles to balance school, friends and fatherhood after his daughter his born. (131 pages)

http://www.shvoong.com/books/novel-novella/2255632...

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Clay Jensen finds an anonymous package at his front door containing cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, a classmate who recently committed suicide. There are 13 reasons why Hannah died - and the people responsible must listen to her tapes to find out! (288 pages) http://www.shvoong.com/books/novel-novella/2197634...

Hope this helps!

The previous interest save, Charles Dickens Oliver Twist, back Dickens. The Invisible guy by way of Harry F Saint , present day version of H G Wells... bought by way of, Zana Muhsen. Don Quijote, by way of Miguel Servantes. the manhattan Trilogy, Paul Auster eco-friendly Fried Tomatoes, Fannie Flagg. A Ghost tale from super apple, T. M Wright. Anyhting by way of Agatha Christie. something by way of Roald Dahl. something by way of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The fragrance, Patrick Suskind. Wilt , Tom Sharpe. Sofie's international, Jostein Gaarder. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho. the secret tale, Donna Tartt. the international in accordance to Garp, John Irving. something from Diana Gabaldon. The Catcher in the Rye, J.D Salinger. type Ten, Sue Townsend. just to call some. Do get exhilaration from as I unquestionably did!

Try Jane Austen's "Emma." It's surprisingly funny. If you like it, definately read all of Austen. I also recommend E.M. Forster's "A Room with a View" to teens. It's enjoyable and grows better and richer with each reading. "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith (also the author of 101 Dalmatians) is written from the point of view of a girl your age who lives in a real life (not fantasy) castle in England in the 1930's. I just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue. It's a recent novel, with critical praise, but very lurid and interesting also. Hope you enjoy!

Well, i'm a big reader to and i would suggest any of James patterson's books especially the Alex Cross series and Maximum Ride series .

Alex Cross is a detective that deals in homicides, drug related murders, Kiddnap and rape etc.

Maximum Ride, a girl who was experimented on as a baby by apolipse obbsesed scientist and given wings. Now, on the run from the world she and other's like her have to stop the bio-chemical war that threatens the world while dealing with her undiniable teenage feelings at the same time.

Also, 'The Killing Hour' by Lisa Gardner

A killer kiddnapps girls in pairs. Always on the way home from a night club, always on a hot day. He kills one and leaves them where someone will find her and leves strange clues on her body about where he has left the other girl. Alive. In a hostile environment (forest, abondoned mine shaft..)

'The diary of Anne Frank' by Anne Frank (True story)

About a Jewish girl hiding in the Nazi reign

'Gone' by Michale Grant

A town where suddenly, all the adult disapper. The kids, now trapped inside an indistructable barrier that burns to the touch, have to find food, water and deal with nuclear mutated animals. And kids.

Sam, a 15 year old boy, suddenly has to lead these starving, dying children while dealing with the pressure of leadership, starvation, illness and needs of a teenage body.

Hope these help!

I strongly recomend all of them.

Source(s): every librabary within a 200km radius ;)
  • Have you read the princess bride its a classic and really entertaining it has all the qualities you want in a good book adenture romance humor remorse. I absolutely love that book

Shine by lauren Myracle:

When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

The internet girl series by Lauren Myracle,which is basically for 9-11 but it looks like it should be 13+

ttfn

l8r,g8r

ttyl

are about :The bestselling sequel to ttyl

Told entirely in instant messages, this sequel to the hugely popular ttyl follows Maddie, Zoe, and Angela through the new flirtations, fixations, and frustrations of eleventh grade.

Angela has just found out that her family is moving to El Cerrito, California, and she seriously doesn’t know how she’ll survive without her best friends. Maddie makes some really bad moves with Clive, a pot-smoking hipster who wants to be “friends with benefits.” And Zoe finds herself falling for Doug, the sweet poet who has had a crush on Angela forever—a crush that Angela has come to count on.

Looking for Alaska is a really beautiful book. It's funny, serious and sad all in one, no doubt one of the best books I've read! They're also teens who drink, smoke, and all that - so you would find it interesting, and it isn't trashy the way it's presented.

The Giver cycle is a good one. If you like WWII books why not try books on the American Civil War (there are some very good fiction and non-fiction books on the subject).

ANYthing by Kurt Vonnegut

ANYthing by Paul Monette

ANYthing by Geraldine Brooks

ANYthing by Alain de Boton

House of Leaves (for the challenge)