Why is the word marriage so important?

Is getting married important to you and when you do are is it important that its called marriage?? If yes why?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes an no.

Marriage is a legally binding union. Forget the church crap because whether or not you marry in a church as long as its a certified marriage celebrant of some kind thats what legally makes it a marriage.

Marriage has over 1100 rights bound to it that civil union doesn't so yes I want marriage. Is the word important. Yes and no but mainly yes. Because if gay people can have for example a Binding or whatever you call it and straight people can have a marriage and the only difference is the sexual orientation then you are creating division between gays and straights. Which is exactly what we want to abolish.

And when does sexual orientation give you ownership of a word, thats kinda last century. Are we not progressing as a people?

Some rights a civil union misses out on

Status as "next-of-kin" for hospital visits and medical decisions

Right to make a decision about last rites

Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains

Immigration and residency for partners from other countries

Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will

Crime victims recovery benefits

Domestic violence protection orders

Judicial protections and immunity

Public safety officers death benefits

Spousal veterans benefits

Social Security

Joint parental rights of children

Joint adoption

Medicare

Joint filing of tax returns

Wrongful-death benefits for surviving partner and children

Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children

Child support

Joint Insurance Plans

Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits

Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs

Estate and gift tax benefits

Welfare and public assistance

Joint housing for elderly

Credit protection

Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

non secular human beings imagine that they own the be conscious "marriage" because their faith controls the regulations of marriage, yet marriage is a social settlement. If a usa were to recognize the rights of its electorate because it may declare to, its guidelines concerning marriage would not be guided strictly through the regulations of any faith. i imagine that folk contained in the gay rights circulate must be keen to settle for "civil union" for now because the rights that they could benefit can be a more desirable be counted than the call itself, and there ought to come a time even as they could benefit the call besides. yet i am going to ascertain why they could want the finished equipment right away. that is ridiculous that that is even an difficulty; that is so tangled up that the conservatives make an difficulty of it in any respect. without them, there is not any want for a gay rights circulate. yet then, they're nevertheless dissatisfied about men with lengthy hair, those who do not prefer to bypass to warfare each and every of the time, and the finished hippie circulate.

• 8 years ago

Marriage is important to me, despite the fact that I am not sure if I ever want to get married.

Gay marriage is all about equality. Just like many straight people, many gay people have dreamed of a big wedding their whole life. They want to commit to the partner they love. And they should be able to. Love has no gender.

The word 'marriage' is very important. I won't settle for anything less. Gay marriage is about equality and acceptance. If a special kind of marriage would be introduced (like a union for instance) with all the rights and benefits of a man/woman, it would be good, but it would still not be equal. It would still be like saying 'we condone gay people, but we do not accept them as one of us'.

Equality for ALL

• 8 years ago

It is the ultamite commitment

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Yes, getting married is important to me (:

I think people find the word 'important' because it's like the ultimate commitment. Two people who love and respect each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together.

• 8 years ago

It is important to me that my union be called the same thing as any other union. Separate can never be equal, if just for the fact that it is separate. Most gay people find the idea that the state needs to call the legal distinctions you get from marriage something different just because of what the people in the couple's genders are insulting.

I personally think the state doesn't need to be calling anything marriage due to separation between church and state.

• 8 years ago

The word is not important; the legal rights and protections are. And since marriage rights are specifically for "marriage," it can be legally argued that civil partnerships are not covered by marriage statutes, rights or protections. Marriage as a legal, financial and civil contract is different from civil unions.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

There's no one I want to marry at the moment. As to the terminology, the existing beneficial laws use the word marriage. If you call it a civil union, you have to pass individual laws using that specific term in order to obtain the same benefits as granted by existing laws that apply to marriage.

• Jon
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I dont care about the word, just the rights.

• Gpaw
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Marriage is just a word, what it represents is the most important institution known to man. Confucius Jesus, they all agree the family is where a person is made or broken.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.