Amber's Mommy asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

how can i tell if my dog is pregnant?

my 1yr old dog got out while in heat (she is scheduled to be spayed on may 10th, this was NOT planned and i do not need comments about being an irresponsible dog owner) and i know my neighbors have male dogs that are not neutered. im not sure if she is pregnant or not but how, other then taking her to the vet, would i be able to tell? her back end seems to be a bit swollen (less then when she was in heat but still swollen) and to me it seems as tho her nips are a bit bigger or well hanging lower. she is a very shy dog and stays in her crate quite a bit so im not sure if shes "nesting" or just trying to sleep... please help!

ok so i never said i cant afford anything. i just dont want to take her to the vet for no reason. she IS scheduled to be spayed on May 10th, its the soonest they could get her in and i called and spoke to them, they will NOT spay her if she is pregnant as she will be too far along by then if she is pregnant. im just trying to see if there were any ways i could tell prior to taking her to a vet to know if i am over reacting or not. i know how to handle whelping and puppies as i have had rescues come to me pregnant and i know the expense. my dog is VERY shy and does not travel well, she gets very scared and car sick and would be incredibly stressful to take her to the vet for no reason so again if i could look for signs that she may be or may not be so i wouldnt stress her out for nothing that would be wonderful. please dont assume people can or cant afford something when you do not know them. if you had bothered to ready the post i said where she was scheduled to be spayed and this happ

i will NOT have an abortion done on my dog, i know there are dogs in need of homes and if need be i can and will keep each and every puppy, i live on a farm so it would not be a problem and i can afford to do so if they can not find homes. Animal control has said there is nothing they can do to help since she is not one of their dogs for adoption, i would have to wait until my appointment. i am from the Richmond, VA area and they are WAY over booked for spay and neuter at this time, even the private vets are booked for a long time. i am just looking to see if anyone can tell me how i could tell before stressing her out, not for people to judge me or tell me that i should have her pups aborted and her spayed asap, i would have to wait until may 10th to do anything and she would be too far along by then if she is pregnant to abort the pups anyway.

she wasnt "Bred" on purpose and she isnt shy by personality she is a rescue and was badly badly abused prior to us finding and saving her. i have already made several calls and no one can get us in to do an emergency spay and abortion because they are booked full AND there is no medical need to have it done. that is just what they told me, since she is not old or have medical issues then they cant justify canceling someone else's appointment. I AM NOT HERE TO BE JUDGED. IM LOOKING FOR ADVICE TO NOT STRESS MY DOG OUT MORE AND AM DOING EVERYTHING I CAN FOR HER AND HER POTENTIAL PUPS. i thank the few of you who have offered true advice and the rest of you can kiss my a$$ as your judgmental of someone you dont know.

• Favorite Answer

There are free and low cost spay and neuter clinics everywhere there is no reason for your dog or the neighbors dogs not to have it done. May 10 is a long ways off relative to a dogs gestation are you sure your vet will still perform the procedure when she is that far along? I know mine would not it makes it risky~! Call your local animal control and see if they can help you with a voucher now or apply for credit care!

The entire gestation period for a dog is only 63 days and even if you took her to the vet he could not tell without an x-ray or ultra sound until at least 30 days into the pregnancy. So unless you are knowledgeable about breeding you would not be able to tell. This dog should NOT be bred if she has a shy personality, PERIOD!

Well typically there aren't precise vet documents to be had. When you undertake an animal from a refuge or a few rescues except they preformed the spay they don't by and large have those documents. We had a foster cat as soon as that after we picked up from the refuge they advised us she was once spayed and her foster papers stated spayed feminine DSH. Never having experianced cats in season (extraordinary than puppies) while I noticed blood in her clutter field we took her in and suprise no longer spayed. The refuge paid for her spay and no being pregnant (all men had been neutered) but it surely occurred. If a refuge offers you papers pronouncing an animal is altered so much men and women could no longer query it nor could they call for documents realizing by and large shelters would not have documents. What occurred to us does occur greater than you could suppose even though I additionally belive that if men and women pay awareness to an animal and produce other altered animals that a neglected spay must no longer grow to be a being pregnant and if it does an emergancy spay is so as. I agree that obtaining a puppy from a individual warrents evidence of spay however once more shelters don't continuously have files proving the approach many cross off what they're advised while an animal is dropped off and at the same time they must investigate. Small scaring, scar for yet another proceudre and sheer quantity of animals leads to a few falling via the cracks.

1

Pay close attention to your dog's eating habits. If she has a decreased appetite or isn't showing much interest in her favorite chow, this could be a sign of morning sickness.

2

Check for vaginal discharge, a common sign of pregnancy.

3

Notice if your dog has enlarged teats. A female dog's nipples will become engorged in preparation for nursing her pups.

4

Look for behavioral changes in your dog. If she is usually active and appears unusually tired, she may be pregnant. Appearing uncomfortable or signs of general unrest can be tell-tale signs as well.

usually if she is pregnant it last 56 to 63 days dogs can also have false pregnancy.

5

Check your dog's stomach to see if it appears enlarged or swollen. This symptom occurs midway through the pregnancy. You may even be able to gently feel for the puppies as well.

6

Look for signs of "nesting," your dog's way of getting ready for the birth and aftercare of the puppies. She may scratch at the floor or the blankets as if to fluff them.

The vet will let you know after the emergency abort/spay is done.

obama eats puppies.

• JenVT

Don't worry about it. Call your local shelter or your regular vet and get the name of a low cost or free spay clinic in your area and get her in asap. If you can't afford a simple vet visit you sure as hell can't afford to allow her to whelp a litter which will set you back at least $1000 IF everything goes well. If not, it will be more. Add that to the 2-3 weeks of vacation time you will have to take when the pups come and it becomes quite costly, especially if you don't get paid vacation time.

ADD: Then call your local shelter and get the name of a vet who will do it. Trust me, they know. There is no reason to allow her to have a litter. It's irresponsible to even consider it.

ADD: So, you're going to whelp a litter of mongrel puppies from a bit** with a piss poor temperament? Niiiice. Well, since you obviously won't listen to reason, let me tell you 3 things that may be of help to you.

1. Since you can't take her to the vet you will know she is pregnant when the puppies arrive. There is no other way to "tell" with any certainty.

2. You will need to get everything on this list on the off chance that she *is* pregnant. If not, you can probably return most of it, although I find the best deals on whelping boxes are on ebay.

http://phi-vestavia.com/whelplist.htm

3. Since your bit** has a difficult time going to the vet, you had better hope that you can find a vet to come to you when she is due in case there are any emergencies. If not, she and the pups will need a check up 24 hours post whelping so since money is not a problem, find a vet that makes house calls. The post-whelp check up is NOT optional. Find out in advance what the warning signs of trouble are and what constitutes an emergency. Ignorance kills puppies and their mothers.

Source(s): experienced breeder

Not that I know of. Pretty much just the vet.

Take her to the vet to make sur,good luck

When she is spayed the vet will tell you keep the appointment get her spayed .