Hayley asked in PetsRodents · 8 years ago

Taking care of my best friends mice! HELP?

Ok. My best friend is going on an over seas holiday for 2 and a half weeks soon. I have happily agreed to take care of her 2 (female) beloved pet mice. I have had mice before but they died from heat stroke. I was thinking of keeping these mice (in a cage) in the shed. It is cool and there is no (dangerous) animals around my house. I was just wondering if there is anything i should not do. I'm really worried if they die, she'll come back and be angry at me because i killed them. And i'm not the type of person to make up some lame excuse. So please help me out! Anything you know about mice would be very useful!!

Favorite Answer

keeping them outside is a bad idea....It is larvae season for flies....the will bite the mice and lay eggs in the skin....They will b fine indoors no matter the heat provided they have plenty of water.....Flick them some dry cereal now and then and they will be your best friend.....Domestic mice are one of the cleanest pets you can have,..they will spend about 15 hrs a day grooming....and they are fun to watch and interact with

Remove droppings, uneaten food and soiled areas of bedding from your pets’ cage every day. Clean

The cage completely once a week by replacing dirty bedding and wiping down the rest of the cage.

Mice are very good jumpers, so you will need to be careful when you take them out of their cage. You can scoop them up in your hand or in a paper cup to safely transport them out of the cage.

Never grab mice by the middle or end of the tail, as this can cause injuries. If you need to catch a mouse quickly, you can grasp him at the base of the tail and lift him up as you cup him in your hand.

Find a vet who works with pocket pets/exotic pets. Vet care is a necessity for any pet. Mice feel pain and suffer equally as much as other, larger, animals. Just in case something happens. If you are worried about paying for it, just ask ur friend to when she comes back.

Food should be available to mice at all times. Always provide fresh food daily, as their metabolisms are very high. Pre-made mixes designed for mice and rats contain too much protein for most pet shop mice. A safer option is a pre-made hamster mix. When purchasing food look for 13% protein or less. Also avoid mixes that contain a high number of sunflower seeds. These are very fattening and are often used as fillers in cheap food mixes.

I understand that you can't probably keep it inside but when it's cold...

Put more bedding in & cover the cage

Well...

Good luck!

I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Just keep them in a cool place and everything will be fine:)