Why is it that most gay themed movies have a sad ending?

I hate it when that happens! Does anyone know of a HAPPY gay themed movie? Thank you! ^.^

Best Answer

"A Beautiful Thing." But I always thought of the ending as a fantasy -- two teen lads close dancing in the street in London's East End, and the neighbors all join in instead of beating them up (although Ste does get walloped early on). The gay arc on Fox's "War at Home" ultimately resolved on a high note, as did a "Still Standing" episode. It depends on the intent of the movie. There was a made-for-tv movie several years ago about a gay teenager that I think ended well, eventually. But usually the intent is to illustrate the plight of gay people. There are some positive images. In "Little Miss Sunshine" Steve Carell's suicidal character was the only sane person in the family. And in "Sling Blade" John Ritter was a good guy. We need more good scripts -- sharpen those pencils.

Because sad endings are now considered more realistic, blah blah.

It's hipster drivel .

all of the other listed and Beter than Chocolate my favorite

• ?

Beautiful Thing had a great ending, so did Shelter. Neither are particularly happy themed as they are both about guys realising and coming to terms with being gay and the issues it causes in their day to day lives, but they both live happily ever after in the end Xx

Sure there's happy gay themed movies out there with a happy ending: But I'm a Cheerleader, Imagine Me & You, Debs, Bound and Gray Matters. I'm sure there's more but that's what I can think of right now.

Save me had a wonderful ending.

They were able to reconcile their religious beliefs with the fact they were deeply in love.

My personal belief is that these movies fail to give happy ending because they reflect life. Life doesn't often give happy endings. In fact there is a huge part of me that believes a happy ending is simply an incomplete story.

Another good ending was Latter Days

i just saw "the weekends" trailer @Gus suggested...i now want to see it.

you should see it too!

• Zoe

I feel the same way about lesbian films. T_T I go out of my way to avoid watching them now.

Well no, but you can always go for porn :/

To Wong Foo, thanks for everything! Trust me when I say that's a good movie with a happy ending.