How do I convince someone it's best to put a dog out of their misery?

At least I think it's best. Let me explain.

My sister has a beautiful, kind, gentle German Shepard/Pitt Bull mix who is now very elderly and in bad condition. Once he was the picture of physical health but now he's brittle with arthritis to the point he strains to move, can no longer run, has seizures often and just seems like an unhappy dog. Her vet has thrown hints around about putting him to sleep but either my sister didn't catch them or is just refusing to think about it. This dog had a fantastic life and is about 17 years old now but I feel like it's time she let him go for his own good. I hate to see him this way.

I'm afraid to mention it to her though because in the past when I did she got tearful and told me I was heartless which hurt me. I just want her to see that sometimes the best thing isn't what you want to hear...

I'm 21 and my sister is 17. She's had this dog since she was a few months old.

Favorite Answer

I'll be completely honest it will be very very hard to tell your sister to put the dog down. I've had many dogs and luckily for me it never came to that, so let me first start off by saying I am truly sorry for your dog and what he is going through I would never wish that on any animal. I think you should try to talk to your sister as gentley as possible remember this dog is family and has been this way for years. I know it will hurt her but be there for her and offer as much support you can give her. Explain that the dog is suffering and how you know how much she loves the dog but that you also know she doesn't want him to suffer. Explain as hard as it may be, that she should think about how he would feel. I want to send my best wishes to you and once again I am deeply sorry that your dog has to go through this and I hope all goes well.

• Jeanne

If the tumor is putting pressure on the skull and even caving it in your dog is most assuredly in enormous pain. At this point just call Animal Control. The dog's condition has progressed well beyond legal limits and your father is now a criminal animal abuser. Your dog is vomiting either due to immense pain or pressure on her brain, or both. Tell your dad to stop being a selfish prick and do what is best for the DOG, not what is best for his childish sensibilities and lack of emotional control. She's a living, breathing animal in a great deal of pain that has progressed well beyond medical intervention and is way beyond pain management. This dog is in agony every waking moment of her life (and probably when she's asleep, too). The fact that your father is more concerned with avoiding his own feelings being hurt over the well being of the dog speaks of a childishness I'm not entirely sure you can convince him to move past. I'm sorry, I'm sorry your dog is suffering, I'm sorry your dad is too hard headed to deal with reality. But I have a feeling that if a softball sized tumor caving her skull in and regular voiding of the bowels and vomiting haven't convinced him it's time to let her go then nothing will. I would call animal control at this point and let them seize the dog.

• ChiMom

How Heartbreaking !! The old dog will get to where he can no longer walk and your sis will see then there is a problem and her dog is not going to get any better. It is the hardest thing in the world to face that a loved one is nearing the end of their life. She will come around when she has to....it's just so dang hard to let go! I have had to help friends through the same ting and when my Shep/Lab was diagnosed with arthritis I told the vet he was wrong! He asked...how old is your dog? I had to really think and I was shocked to think back and realize she was old as dirt!!! :):) My dog was old..that threw me for a loop. Your Vet will advise with just the right words when the time is right and your sister will be shocked and hurt and she'll need a hug from you. Stay Strong!

Source(s): old lady with old dogs:)

You should take the dog and have it put out. Your sister seems weak.

My daughter had a cat everyone said she should put down, but the cat had a will to live because the cat loved her so much. Eeven the vet could not see how the cat was still alive. He was a skeliton skin and bones. It was not until one morning the cat was crawling across the floor, skin and bones and poop all over him she had the heart to put him to sleep. He couldn't eat anymore. It was most likely the cat would have died that day anyway. My point, as long as the dog has a will to live I would say let it be your sister's decision. The dog will let her know when it is time. I mean we don't put our loved ones away when they are old with arthritis and not well. They die when the will to live is gone. That being said, it is also important that the dog is under a vets care for pain and diet etc.

• Julie

Is it really humane? Or if given the choice, would her dog choose to stay by his owners side to the bitter end despite his agony? The dog is likely to go soon... your sister may feel horrible if she commits such an act.

There are many things that can be done these days to make a sickly and elderly dog feel more comfortable, including natural and holistic methods. Please allow the dog to lay by the fire next to the owner he loves until HE completes his journey here on earth.

Why is her vet merely 'hinting' about putting him to sleep... why not come right out and say its the best thing for the dog?

• *****

If you are in the USA, your sister is still a minor child and your parent(s) are the legal owners of the dog and the ones you need to be discussing the issue with. You also need to realize that not everyone has the same views as far as humane euthanasia. While you and I may feel it is the right decision to make for a pet that has no enjoyment of life left and no real options to improve their quality of life, not everyone believes the same. As long as the dog's pain is adequately controlled your parents and sister should not be made to feel bad over not choosing to euthanize the dog.

How old is your sister? If she is of an understanding age, just explain. Talk it out. Talk out again and again in different ways, so that it does not irritate her. Talk indirectly giving her thoughts to ponder over.

Make her understand that she has to take the decision considering only the dog and his sufferings, and what are the different things she can or should do to give the pet releif from it's sufferings.She has to think only from the dog's suffering point of view. Her affection towards the pet should be directed towards the betterment of the pets condition and not biased by personal emotions.

Start off with a hug. "Sometimes its best to let things we love go. I know its hard, but it isn't fair to keep him/her alive and suffering just so we can call him our own. Even when s/he's gone, s/he will still be a part of this family. S/he has lived a full, wonderful life, and now its time for her/him to rest."

Putting down a dog is never fun, I know. But for the sake of loving them, things must be done to keep loved ones from suffering.

Take care.

tell her is better not to see that poor thing suffer