African American Christians:Why do preachers like Creflo Dollar,Eddie Long,& T.D.Jakes seem so materialistic?

Then there's Dr.Frederick K.C. Price of Los Angeles.He also seems to be materialistic.They are Word of Faith movement preachers.Do you all think that has something to do with their materialism?Also,how do many of you feel about Al Sharpton,Jesse Jackson,& Jeremiah Wright?Personally,I don't think these 3 men do anything to help anyone!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Since the advent (several years ago) of the extremely popular "prosperity gospel", most televangelists seem materialistic - because most of them have adopted that gospel, regardless of supposed "race" ("White", "Black", etc.).

There are certainly "Black" American preachers - some very popular in local areas or within specific sects - who have not adopted that pathetic teaching and who are at least as non-materialistic as any highly-reputable preacher. However, most televangelists have adopted that "gospel", and in the U.S. only a relatively few televangelists are "Black" - so perhaps it **seems** that a disproportionate number of them have adopted that materialistic "gospel".

This might help alter your perception:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_n1_...

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Uhhh...

John Hagee, Pat Robertson, Joel Osteen, Mac Brunson and about a few hundred other white pastors of enormous megachurches seem far, far more materialistic.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I'm caucasian. How about murdoch, Popoff, ,graham and all the rest of the financial leeches!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I agree many so called "Christian ministers," live off the ones who work for a living.

How much $ did Enoc or Aaron make?

And what salary did Jesus ask for --oh, that's right, he said, "you receive free GIVE free..."

Good point--girl!

Source(s): Personal experience and my eyes are open
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

USA Christianity is EXTREMELY right wing and materialistic. It's a VERY different brand of Christianity compared to traditional Christianity in all the other countries.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Unlike treasures on earth, which thieves can steal, spiritual riches can be permanent. (Proverbs 23:4, 5; Matthew 6:20) It is true that spiritual progress is harder to measure. It is not as easy to determine the extent to which one has grown in love, joy, or faith as it is to ascertain one’s financial progress. But the rewards of spiritual riches are immeasurable. Speaking of disciples who would leave even their houses and fields—yes, their means of living—to make room for spiritual things, Jesus said: “Truly I say to you men, No one has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of the good news who will not get a hundredfold now in this period of time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields, with persecutions, and in the coming system of things everlasting life.”—Mark 10:29, 30.

What will you put first in your life? God or riches?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.