What does it mean to have a confederate flag on your property ?

I live in Massachusetts , but for this year's spring break I'm on vacation in New Hampshire . I'm on the road driving to the Funspot Arcade , and I've seen like 6 Confederate Flags already . I've seen bunper stickers , flags on trucks , flags on lawns . I was wondering what it meant . I thought it meant something to do with racism and slavery and things like that , but NH was never a slave state , even though it is somewhat country , or "redneckish" . If someone can tell me what it means that would be great , because I'm real curious !

Favorite Answer

It means that the person wishes to bring it to your attention that he comes from one of several States of the country which practically only share in common the fact that 150 years ago, these States thought that the then allowed ability for one person to own another like cattle was worth overthrowing the legitimate and democratically elected central government.

Frankly, I think if you do want to let people know you are a Southerner, there are better symbols for it, and if you want to let people know you are a "rebel," there are less ironic ways to do so.

• Ray J

As a general rule anyone displaying a confederate flag in NH is someone who grew up in the south and wants to let people know that they are not from NH. Other than that as far as I know there are no groups or organizations in the Lake's region of NH that use the Confederate flag to identify themselves.

The flag simply means we are proud of our southern heritage. It has nothing to do with slavery. The civil war was not about just slavery. It was about things like the problems we have today like the govt wanting to run every ones lives for them. Before the civil war all states were slave states. Read your history. The north was just willing to follow the federal govts orders more quickly than southern states.

Source(s): Texan

Like it or not, the Confederate flag represents violent racism. Don't like it? Work for change. The skinheads have undermined any positive meaning. Live with reality.

• states that it's hard for these people that have them to count above 10

Most people in the South see it as Southern Pride and the right to seceded, although in Pop Culture it is more and more being used as a Redneck symbol.

It means those Dukes boys are at it again.

It means you're a rebel and you hate the blue bellies.