Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

In Spanish, what is the difference between "Qué es eso?" and "Qué lo que es eso?"?

I'm in Argentina on a foreign exchange, and this is one thing I can't figure out! I've heard both forms used but can't figure out when or why you would say "Qué lo que es eso?", I always just say "Qué es eso?"! If anyone knows when, why, or how to use this, please help me!

Best Answer

Qué es eso? is the correct translation of What is that?

Qué es lo que es eso? That is bad Spanish. It is not correct.

You can say: Qué es lo que dices? Qué es lo que piensas? (meaning What do you say, what do you think...) However, it is not correct to say "Que es lo que es eso?". You should say Qué es eso?

Source(s): Spanish is my native language. (Argentina)

"¿Qué es eso?" > "What's that?"

"¿Qué lo que es eso?" > Doesn't exist.

Source(s): I'm half Argentinian.

"Qué es lo que es eso?" is not 'bad Spanish' or 'incorrect' like the kitty says.

You use "Qué es lo que es eso?" when you want to know what something is, that someone else already said.

Example:

Teacher: este signo se llama Pi y es igual a 3.141592 (this symbol is called Pi and is equal 3.141592)

1 minute later (you either didn't pay attention or forgot its name)

You: profesora, qué es lo que es eso? (teacher, what's that now?)

"Qué lo que es eso?" implies you were already told what that is, but you need to be re-told.

It might be translated as "What's that now?"

Source(s): Colombian.

thats wierd my parents are both spanish i have never heard of people say que lo que es eso.

Source(s): Born in the us to spanish parents only speak spanish at home.