how did atari/ralph baer change home gaming?

what was Ataris or the creator Nolan Bushnell and Ralph Baer's role in home video gaming

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ralph Baer practically invented console gaming. The Brown Box was the first console, though never sold, and led to the creation of the Odyssey, the first marketed video game system. The system is a success and even has a cult following to this day. Also Pong was actually a copy of ping pong on the Odyssey.

Nolan Bushnell was the founder of Atari. He has earned several awards for his contributions to gaming.

Atari itself has a very interesting role in gaming history.

When Atari came onto the scene in the early 70's gaming was still in it's infancy and was the standard name in gaming by the 80's. The overwhelming success of the Atari (due in large part to the excellent games released for the systems) made video games seem like the way of the future, until E.T.

In an era where games were always good the movie licensing formula was a no-brainer. Unfortunately it worked a little too well. E.T. was such a disastrous mess of a game that retailers actually reported more copies of the game returned than were purchased and the industry suffered it's first truly bad (ironically also first movie licensed) game and suddenly people were not so quick to buy video games.

As a result retailers were less likely to take a chance on a new video game system and when Nintendo was trying to get into the North American market they met heavy resistance. It got so bad that they created a robot (named R.O.B.B.) and marketed the NES as an interactive toy rather than a video game system. Which is why no games other than Gyromite ever used R.O.B.B.

So there you have a short version. Do a little research and you will find a much more detailed and actually very interesting story in all this.

• 4 years ago

a million) you're sitting on the sofa and understand that they are exhibiting a 30-minute pre-activity software formerly the %. drops. you desperate: A) watch the pre-activity teach. I often watch the pregame teach and consume dinner on an identical time. i will no longer be able to consume whilst the activity starts, so i could desire to get it out of ways. 2) the activity starts and that's 10 minutes into the 1st era. that's activity 23 of the season, and that's a house activity. the telephone rings. you desperate E) to verify caller identity and then go with - My dad and brother be attentive to to no longer call me for the duration of video games, so in the event that they seem on the caller identity it is going to be rather considerable and that i could desire to %. it up. Then I %. up in step with which buddy is looking. Hehe. 3) that's 2d era and you're already feeling drained via fact which you have been a occasion animal the night formerly. Do you A) Resume a snug laying down place and desire to no longer nod off - I consistently finally end up falling asleep, yet waking up in time for the previous couple of minutes of the 0.33. 4) for the duration of 2d intermission you're able to desire to pass tinkle. however the colour commentator is interviewing your maximum liked participant. you desperate: C) carry the urge, and wait until a advertisement spoil - Haha, i be attentive to it somewhat is style of gross however the interviews are not that long. 5) you've got fajitas throughout the time of the third era. It takes all the 2d intermission to wizz and prepare you fajitas. You open the refrigerator and understand that your bitter cream is rather expired and you have no longer any guacamole or cheese. What have been you questioning?! You: D) Suck it up and consume them without toppings - If it took me all that factor to lead them to, i'm eating them! 6) You awaken the morning after the activity. you already be attentive to your team gained. Do you? D) different – I watch all the highlights back

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.