Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Could I make it in Houston texas?

I am relocating to houston from l.a..I m a little nervous because I ve never lived there before, but I am very attracted to the low cost of living, good job market, the people.Will I do well in Houston.I have two degrees one, in Business Administration and administration of Justice, working on a MBA in Accounting at the University of Houston.I dont have a job lined up, but I will have around 19,000 saved before I move,..is this enough to make it until i find a job, will I be able to find friends?are ..what do you think? Or should i stay in L.A

Favorite Answer

The fact that you hold two undergrad sheepskins and are working on a MBA you should have no problem finding a decent-paying job in Houston. Before you move update your resume and look for something first. Try firms like Coopers & Lybrand, Delottie & Touche, PriceWaterhouseCooper for openers if you are looking at a career as an accountant.

A $19K seed fund should easily get you started with an apartment and a few necessities to get settled. If you get hired somewhere before you move this will make selecting an apartment easier, there are many locators who can assist you with finding a suitable location. Rule of thumb is to look for a place within a 15-mile radius of your employer.

Finding friends shouldn't be a problem as most Houstonians have that southern hospitality charm you can only find here. As you'll be attending UH this is the best environment to make them. Avoid the club scene, go if you enjoy dancing and socializing with friends but don't go there wih the intent to hook-up, and there's safety in numbers. By all means stay out of the clubs downtown as the rough trade has ruined it for everyone. Take a Leisure Learning or Learning Annex event to meet people with similar interests if you aren't much of a social bug.

It's up to you if you want to stay in LA, I don't see much of a bright future in that city with living costs and crime on the rise. Houston isn't perfect but anyone with a professional background can live well. Traffic, heat, 80% relative humidity, etc. are tolerable and you don't have to worry about earthquakes.

Good luck.

You will be fine. It is a big city with plenty to do. It does get hot there though.