! asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 9 years ago

How do I open a checking account?

I'm 18 years old and I recently got a job at the United Dairy Farmers and I was told I needed a checking account because when I get paid the money gets sent directly to there. Please help idk what or how to do this. Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

I suggest that you visit several banks and credit unions and speak to the customer service personnel. Bring a written list of questions which are important to YOU. Find out the features and charges of each of their accounts. Find out how many ATMs are available, and whether there is a service charge for using the ATM. Make sure you get everything in writing. Do not accept anything the customer service person tells you verbally. ►All institutions are required to print a schedule of fees. Read each schedule carefully, especially the small print and the footnotes. ◄

You need to look at the totality of the each bank’s or credit union’s services, accounts, and fees. Every bank and credit union offers several accounts with different features and different fees. Some banks and credit unions may have low overdraft fees, but high fees in other areas. Some accounts waive all fees if you maintain a minimum balance. The minimum balance varies from institution to institution. For example Bank of America in Dallas, Texas sets its minimum balance for its checking accounts at $5,000 to avoid monthly maintenance fees. Other accounts have a monthly fee, but no fee on each transaction. Other accounts have no monthly fee, but a fee for each transaction. Credit unions generally have lower fees and are friendlier to their depositors. This is because credit unions are owned by—and answer to—their depositors. Banks are owned by stockholders who view depositors as nothing more than a source of income.

Some banks have a large number of ATMs which you can use without a charge. Other banks have a charge for ATMs.

• larry

except you're using for credit, there does no longer be a credit verify. some banks will verify with Chex platforms, which stocks with the monetary organization is the guy has misused an account interior the pasts. issues including monies owed to a distinctive organization will arise. Chex platforms does no longer make the excellent determination on wheter the account is opened or denied. The monetary organization makes a decision in the event that they desire to open that account or no longer.

Go to a bank(But research which one is good fr you!) and ask them about how to open an account :)