Should the US adopt Spanish as It's second language?

The US has the second largest spanish speaking population, only after Mexico and ahead of Spain, Colombia and Argentina. In some cities, like El Paso, San Antonio, Miami and Hialeah, the spanish is the most common language of the population and most of locals there speak spanish at home.

So, what you guys think?

P.S - The US does not have an official language. If Spanish become the country's second language, english would obviously be the first language.

• Esther
    Favorite Answer

No, because only 12% of the population speaks Spanish. What would be the point of making it an official language? Twelve percent is a very low percentage, despite the fact that it "seems" like there are many more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Unit...

This country was founded on immigration, but all the immigrants had to learn English. Although I love languages and speak Spanish myself, I do believe that everyone living here should learn English. Beyond that, we can learn as many languages as we'd like, but that doesn't mean that those languages should become the official languages of the country.

Source(s): American

I feel like it already is our de facto second language. We hear it all the time when we try to deal with any type of company that isn't a smaller type of business (and from many people, obviously.) Since you say we don't actually have English as our official language, then I guess Spanish is already as official as English.

Yes, a lot of white (and some black) people take offense to the thought of Spanish being used officially in our nation, but.. who cares. They just don't want to learn it or feel like they should have to.

I have lived in Mexico and Argentina and no one bends over backward to help me understand things that aren't in my native tongue. Spanish is their official languages so leave English to be the language of this land even though I know it's not the official language. I think it should be. We tax payers have to fork over too much money for all of the multilingualism in this country. It's not my job to provide a voting ballot in 10 languages let alone two. You live in this country, learn the language as I did Spanish when I lived in Mexico.

There is no need to "adopt" anything.

There is no official language in the US.

Perhaps Americans would do well to LEARN ENGLISH before "adopting" anything.

It's? First, you don't capitalize in the middle of a sentence...second, it's = it + is.

"the spanish"? No the...names of languages ARE capitalized in the middle of a sentence in English.

I say they should i live in the us and the city i live in every one speaks spanish but we are a border town but still we should :D

Source(s): Everyo e in my city speaks spanish

Many people in the US are very strict about preserving the English. But I don't have a problem with it. Multilingualism is a good thing.

Of course not! The immigrants should learn our language, no the opposite!

NO.