Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 9 years ago

Fishing in san diego?

I was looking into going ocean fishing for tuna in san diego and was wondering what was the best charter boat to go on, I saw the Red Rooster3 and the ocean oddysey which one is better? and is there any other charter that is better than those two

Favorite Answer

The Red Rooster III is one of the top long range boats running out of San Diego. It does trips from 3 to 20 days in length. It's big and luxurious, and runs with pretty limited loads.

The Ocean Odyssey is a basic overnight boat (it was the Blackjack rnning out of Redondo in the 1970s). It's good for trips of up to 3 days. So there's not much overlap between what the two boats do. If you're looking for a one or two-day trip, you won't get that on the Red Rooster.

There are dozens of open party and charter boats running out of San Diego (see links below). They range from 35 foot 6-packs (up to 6 passengers) on up to 100+ footers like the Red Rooster. If you just want to go fishing (alone, or with a buddy or two) you're best off getting tickets on one of the open party boats, rather than chartering a whole boat. They often run two types of open party trips -- "regular" (which can mean very crowded) and for a higher price, "limited load", which gives you more fishing room, which is well worth the price for me.

Anyway, I've fished off of five of the long range boats and half a dozen open party boats and eight or ten charter boats out of San Diego over the years. For the most part, I've had good experiences, and made some great catches. How well you do depends mainly on whether the fish are biting, though on tough days, the better skippers will get more than their share of fish. But who's a better skipper varies year to year, as new guys come in and others retire or take time off.

If you can, head on down to the Day at the Docks on Sunday (it's a once-a-year event) and check out all the boats:

http://www.sportfishing.org/DAD00/dad2012.html

My favorite boat is the American Angler. They do 2 day to 15 day trips for tuna and yellowtail. Their crew is fun and professional and their captains always put you on epic fishing. Just google American Angler sportfishing or Point Loma Landing

• chris

I have been out on the Red rooster 3 but both have great reviews, which ever has the best deal would be what I choose.