what is the difference between the belt tensioner and pulley's ?

hi, there is a sequel/chirp noise when i accelerate and i have found out that i need to change the pulleys and the belt but i have seen the belt tensioner and want to know the difference between the two(belt tensioner and the pulleys describing what job they do)

Thanks in advance

help would be greatly appreciated

Update:

so to get rid of this sequel/chirp noise when accelerating what do i do

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Pulleys are attached to different components (alternator, water pump, a/c compressor, etc), all connected by a belt. So when one pulley turns, it makes the others turn at the same time, which make those components they're attached to work. Belt tensioner on the other hand is not attached to any particular component, it simply helps to keep the proper belt tension so the belt won't slip off. Idler pulley also does similar job as belt tensioner.

The squeeling noise is usually just from the worn belt. So change the belt first and see if that will completely fix the problem.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The pulleys turn the accessories that they are attached to. Alternator, power steering pump, AC, water pump. The tensioner keeps the belt snug so that the belt can turn the pulleys against the load that the alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor, water pump have.

If your belt squeals, you may only have to clean the pulleys and replace the belt. A common problem is that grease or oil gets on the belt surface, causing it to slip and squeal. A weak spring in the tensioner can also cause the same problem, but it is rare in my experience.

Another cause of squealing under acceleration is a belt driven component (like your AC compressor) is about to fail. Turn off the AC and see if you still get the squealing under acceleration. That maybe the source of the noise. The AC compressor is the biggest load on a pulley driven system.

I've never had to replace just a pulley. They just don't go bad.

• Alan
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

I doubt your pulleys need to be changed. Just change the belt.

But to answer you question, the person above me said it best.

The belt rides on the pulleys and turns different accessories in your car, such as the alternator, or AC etc..

The belt tensioner keep's the correct amount of pressure on your belt so it wont come off. It also makes it easier to replace the belts, since you can just release the tensioner, install new belt, and reapply the tensioner.

• nosdda
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

A belt tensioner, tensions the belt so it does not slip on the pulley. The Pulley is the grooved wheel the belt runs on

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Pulleys are stationary and serve a purpose such as turning your alternator. A tension er pivots to apply pressure on the belt and make it tight, so it doesn't fly off the pulleys.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

A belt is used to keep the pants up. A pulley would be someone trying to pull them down. Could be a good thing or bad thing

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

"Pulley's" is incorrect. The belt pulleys own nothing. An apostrophe shows possession. Why did you use an apostrophe?

Source(s): Second grade english.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.